USL Work Experience Program 2021
Job Title: Legal UWEP
Position Type: Internship – For College Credit Hours Only
Semester: Summer 2021
Location: Remote for Summer 2021 Semester Only
Overview of the United Soccer League (USL)
United Soccer League is one of the largest operators of soccer properties in the United States. USL currently owns and operates a Division II professional league (USL – Championship), a Division III professional league (League One), a pre-professional U23 league (League Two), and an elite level youth soccer league (Super Y League). Headquartered in Tampa, Florida, the USL provides unparalleled club support with a growing team of more than 65 professionals across 17 departments, ranging from operations to digital, communications, and club services.
Under the direction and guidance of USL Executives and Leaders (mentors), the USL Work Experience Program (UWEP) provides students with the unique opportunity to gain practical sport management experience in a professional sports league setting. By working on various strategic projects and initiatives, UWEP participants will gain hands on experience with league staff as well as its member teams.
Participants are tasked with and responsible for working within a specialized department but will interact with all league departments across the organization including: finance, business development, digital, marketing, team services, analytics, and more, with the ultimate goal of providing well-rounded practical work experience in sports to students.
Under the direction of the General Counsel, Associate General Counsel, and Contracts Manager, the Legal UWEP is responsible for assisting on projects that include general contract law, franchising, sponsorships/broadcasting agreements, player contracts, as well as providing support in a multitude of other legal capacities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with a variety of types of agreements (including Franchise Agreements, Master Service Agreements, Software Licenses, etc);
- Draft letters and other correspondence;
- Conduct legal research and communicate findings through memoranda;
- Work with internal business units – communications, marketing, analytics etc. – to assist with legal issues;
- Assist with compliance plans on an as-needed basis;
- Other projects as assigned.
The selected candidate will:
- Be a current law student at an accredited law school
- Receive law school credit for participation in the program
- Have a high degree of discretion and the ability to safeguard sensitive, confidential, and proprietary information
- Have exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Have solid computer skills and proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Have a positive attitude, strong work ethic, and “team-first” mentality with an eagerness to learn
- Be extremely organized and detail oriented, with a focus on quality and consistency
- Work under fluid deadlines and complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner
- With the UWEP program being remote this semester, participants must have access to a computer or laptop with reliable internet connection.
We also prefer candidates that are:
- Knowledgeable in sports/soccer, particularly with regard to business operations
- Top 20% class ranking and/or on law review