Working under the supervision of the Head of Communications and under the guidance of the Japan Communications Specialist and other Office of Communications staff, the Japan Communications Associate will:
- Assist in managing UNU’s website presence in Japanese on https://jp.unu.edu and https://ourworld.unu.edu/jp/.
- Translate, where appropriate, English material into Japanese and coordinate English/Japanese translations. Assist in editing and proofreading Japanese content.
- Propose and facilitate the creation of UNU Japanese-language marketing materials as needed.
- Collaborate to propose, develop, and coordinate UNU outreach events and activities, both online and onsite, to raise the overall presence of UNU in Japan. Give presentations about UNU to raise awareness of the organization’s activities.
- Co-manage, grow and monitor UNU’s Japanese social media accounts (Facebook and Twitter). Draft strategies and campaigns to increase followership, engagement, and overall influence in Japan. Propose additional platforms for potential outreach in Japan.
- Assist in the redesign and development of UNU’s web platform from a Japanese language perspective.
- Assist in other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in communications, marketing, journalism, international relations or a related field
- Exemplary Japanese and English reading, speaking and writing skills
- Minimum of two years of relevant work experience including managing social media accounts
- Event marketing experience in Japan is desired
- Excellent computer skills and web literacy
- Detail-oriented, dependable and a team player
- Strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience and will range from JPY 314,000 – JPY 377,000 per month. There are no other fringe benefits.
This position carries an annual leave entitlement of 2.5 working days per month (a total of 30 days of paid annual leave).
Duration of Contract
This is a full-time employment on a Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) with UNU. Initial appointment will be for one (1) year with the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory work performance, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years.
This is a locally recruited post; no relocation expenses or allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations. UNU does not sponsor a working visa for this position.
PSA holders are required to enroll in Japan’s national social health care and pension insurance systems.
UNU is not liable for any taxes that may be levied on the remuneration you receive under this contract. Payment of any such taxes remains the sole responsibility of PSA holders.
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates are particularly encouraged.
Early April 2021 (Negotiable)
Interested applicants should submit their application and all required documents listed below online through Impactpool at https://www.impactpool.org/jobs/673166:
- A cover letter, one in English and one in Japanese, detailing how your qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position, and what specific contributions you can make to the organisation
- A curriculum vitae (CV)
- An indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2021/UNU/HQ/OC/PSA/JCA/11).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further process.