We’re looking to hire a Reporter/Producer ready to dive into the deep end of U.S. health policy. Someone who can get up to speed quickly, isn’t afraid of acronyms or academics and loves narrative podcasts. We’re looking for someone eager to work on a small team that’s passionate about using the power of audio journalism to help people grasp the human and economic consequences of health policy. You should be excited to learn from others, embrace the show’s style and collaborate closely with the show’s Host/Executive Producer.
Tradeoffs is a non-profit media company striving to help people have smarter, more honest conversations about the U.S. health care system. Each week we put out a podcast that tells intellectually engaging, emotionally resonant stories. We also produce digital content that breaks down the policies and research covered on the podcast.
Our show follows three principles: (1) rely on research and evidence; (2) employ storytelling techniques; and (3) focus at the intersection of policy, money and people.
This is a full-time remote position that reports to the Host/Executive Producer, former Marketplace health care reporter Dan Gorenstein. The salary range is $70,000-$85,000. We currently do not offer health benefits. Start date is November 1 or sooner.
We are a remote team spread across the country, and due to production schedules and the unpredictable nature of news, this position may be asked to work outside normal working hours.
What you’ll do:
- Pitch, report and produce two 10-20 minute episodes per month in partnership with the Executive Producer
- Book and interview guests, including health care experts, executives, medical providers and patients
- Work in close partnership with the Host/Executive Producer to prepare for guest interviews
- Collaborate with sound designer to produce rough mixes with scoring and sound design
- Create supplemental website content for episodes
- Support promotion of episodes
- Offer peer editing and feedback on episodes led by other producers
- Collaborate with the rest of the Tradeoffs team on other projects as they arise
What you’ll bring:
- At least 3 years experience in journalism, or equivalent experience
- Strong interest (and ideally familiarity) in health care and health policy
- Experience in audio journalism, audio production and/or podcasting
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to produce high-quality content on deadline
- Capacity to work independently and make progress on multiple assignments simultaneously
- Comfort (and ideally experience) reading and vetting academic research and other data for stories
- Eagerness to have fun and collaborate with a remote and dedicated team
Don’t feel like you can check every single box above? That’s okay! If you’re passionate about this job, we want to meet you!
Tradeoffs is committed to building an inclusive and equitable workplace. Everyone, especially those from historically marginalized groups, are encouraged to apply. We value lived experience, including with the systems that shape our health and health care, in addition to work experience. Tradeoffs does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send a resume, cover letter and 2-3 work samples (audio if available) to firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to see your best work!