Who We Are
The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, envisions a society that respects the dignity of every person and safeguards justice for everyone. Vera is committed to securing equal justice, ending mass incarceration, and strengthening families and communities.
- We study problems that impede human dignity and justice.
- We pilot solutions that are at once transformative and achievable.
- We engage diverse communities in informed debate.
- We harness the power of evidence to drive effective policy and practice.
We work with others who share our vision to tackle the most pressing injustices of our day—from mass incarceration, racial disparities, and the loss of public trust in law enforcement to the unmet needs of people who are vulnerable, marginalized, and harmed by crime and violence. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans. Vera is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace. We hire employees that reflect our values: respect, independence, collaboration, commitment, and race equity. If you want to learn more about life at Vera click here.
Join us for an exceptional 11 week paid internship that offers the opportunity to drive meaningful change and to tackle the most pressing injustices in our day. Vera’s summer internship will give you the opportunity to work with passionate, diverse, dynamic, and innovative individuals to work on complex projects. You will have the opportunity to apply some of the skills you’ve acquired in school as well as learn from our amazing staff. In addition to having the opportunity for personal and professional development, you’ll:
- Network with and learn from Vera’s Leadership Team;
- Attend brown bags to enhance your understanding of criminal legal reform;
- Develop your professional and personal network;
- Gain valuable work experience via real-world problem solving;
- Learn the inner workings of a non-profit leader in criminal legal reform
- Cultivate your passion for equal justice for all!
Vera offers summer internships to high school, undergraduate and graduate students in all disciplines of study. Some preference is given to applicants with demonstrated experience and/or interest in the field of social and/or criminal justice. However, qualifications and responsibilities vary by department. All are encouraged to apply.
What You’ll Do
Our Legal Intern will provide a wide range of support for our ongoing projects, including ending money injustice in the criminal legal system, reshaping prosecution, and jail population reduction. The Legal Intern will be supervised primarily by the Associate Director and will complete a variety of projects with other staff. This internship will provide an opportunity for the intern to gain knowledge and experience in research, writing, advocacy, local and state government relations, and criminal legal systems in New Orleans and other parts of Louisiana.
- Conduct legal research and writing
- Observe criminal and magistrate court proceedings
- Attend partner organization coalition meetings
- Review, organize and analyze public records
- Engage in public policy advocacy
- Provide support for planned events
- Other related responsibilities that may arise
What qualifications you’ll need
- Currently enrolled in law school
- Interest in a nonprofit career, particularly in policy reform and advocacy
- Ability to show initiative, ask questions, and adapt to changing priorities
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated connection to Louisiana, New Orleans, or the Deep South
The Nitty Gritty
- Summer internships start on June 7th and end on August 13th, with some flexibility to accommodate personal and academic schedules.
- This internship will be based in Vera’s New Orleans Office, Please be advised that this position may be remote, based on the status of the pandemic
- The hourly rate is commensurate with educational background and work or other experience