At AES we have an amazing opportunity to transform the world with renewable energy. By using the vast amounts of information available, we are designing Smart Maintenance, Smart Operations, Smart Grid and other Energy related solutions to improve our operations and be a leader in renewable energy generation.
Data scientists work with key decision makers to solve business problems by preparing, analyzing, and understanding data to deliver insight, predict emerging trends, and provide recommendations to optimize results. Data scientists use a variety of data (structured, unstructured, IoT streaming), analytics, AI tools, and programming languages often using a cloud infrastructure to handle the volume and veracity of data streams.
Armed with data, modeling expertise, and analytic results, the data scientist communicates conclusions and recommendations to stakeholders in an organization’s leadership structure. Business acumen is an important skill for data scientists to effectively communicate their findings to business leaders, data scientists need strong consulting, communication, visualization, and storytelling skills.
As an intern, you can grow through challenging work, get involved in meaningful projects and receive great coaching from our leaders. Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
Your Role and Responsibilities
START AND END DATES FOR THIS INTERNSHIP ARE DURING SUMMER 2020 (3 months)
Data Scientists are a part of AES’s digital transformation. If hired, you will be matched to a team based on business demand, location and fit. Join the forward-thinking teams at AES solving some of the world’s renewable energy problems – there is no better place to grow your career!
The Work You May Do
- Support algorithm development and deploy solutions based on real-world data; implement and validate predictive models; create and maintain statistical models.
- Communicate with internal and external clients to understand business needs and provide analytical solutions.
- Use statistical concepts such as regression, time series, mixed model, Bayesian methods, clustering, etc. to analyze data and provide insights.
- Work in an Agile, collaborative environment, partnering with other scientists, engineers, and database administrators of all backgrounds and disciplines to bring analytical rigor and statistical methods to the challenges of predicting behaviors.
- Data analytics including identifying, retrieving, manipulating, relating and exploiting multiple structured and unstructured data sets from various sources including building or generating new data sets.
- Build capabilities with software tools (e.g. Google Cloud Platform)
- Identify, retrieve, manipulate, relate and exploit multiple structured and unstructured data sets from various sources including building or generating new data sets as appropriate.
- Create and present materials on data projects, data science architecture and analytics strategies.
Who You Are
- You can debug, troubleshoot, design and implement solutions to complex technical issues.
- You have a knack for analytics and solving problems using data.
- Ability to deal with the ambiguity and the flexibility to change direction as additional information becomes available.
- You have a strong understanding of programming languages extensively used in Data Science applications (e.g., R, Python, Scala, Java, etc.)
- Currently enrolled in in Business Analytics, Mathematics, Economics, Physics, Computer Science, or Engineering
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
- Training or relevant coursework in data science, statistics or machine learning.
- Must have experience coding in R and/or Python.
Preferred Professional And Technical Expertise
- Advanced knowledge of statistical concepts such as regression, time series, mixed model, Bayesian methods, clustering, etc., to analyze data and provide insights.
- Experience collaborating on coding projects in Google Cloud Platform
- Strong communication and data visualization skills to adequately explain complex subject matter to a wide range of associates.