Additional Information: If you’re already a licensed teacher (or will be by Summer 2021), visit our website to learn more about open positions for certified educators. Apply by April 2, 2021.
Want to learn more? Join us for our Virtual Hiring Fair on Saturday, March 13 at 10AM. Register at bit.ly/twmregister.
Who We Are:
The Teach Western Mass Residency is a one-year, accelerated training and licensure program—approved by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education—that gives aspiring teachers without prior education coursework or experience from all backgrounds the chance to earn a full teacher’s salary leading a classroom while receiving significant support toward receiving their Massachusetts teaching certification.
Our customized credentialing program trains new teachers to be effective, empowered classroom educators able to build strong relationships in their school communities and implement standards-based and culturally-relevant curriculum for students in the region’s highest-need subject areas.
Our program provides Residents with a pathway—beginning with an intensive summer pre-practicum experience and ending with state licensure in English as a Second Language (PreK-6 or 5-12), Moderate Disabilities (PreK-6 or 5-12), or Middle School Mathematics (5-8)—to a career in education.
TWM Residents spend a year developing foundational teaching techniques in an actual classroom with personalized training and expert coaches to guide them along the way.
PRACTICE – Master essential teaching skills while you lead a classroom full-time.
COACHING – Learn how to succeed in Western Mass schools with guidance from expert coaches.
COMMUNITY – Join a cohort of inspiring educators on a journey toward a new career in the classroom.
Together we’re building a diverse pipeline of dedicated educators who reflect the makeup of our vibrant region.
What We Offer:
• Full Salary and Benefits: Residents will earn a full teacher’s salary, starting around $45,000 (or higher, depending on the school’s career ladder), plus all related comprehensive benefits (including paid leave, retirement savings, and medical/dental/vision insurance), while pursuing certification once they start working full-time at a public district or public charter school in Fall 2021.
• Access to Scholarships and Stipends: Enrolled Residents may be eligible for scholarships and other financial incentives (from the program, school/district, or state) to offset expenses incurred before or during their Residency experience.
• Certification that Counts: Upon completing required Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure tests (MTELs) and graduating our program, Residents will be on track to earn an Initial License from the state of Massachusetts. For those pursuing a Middle School Math or Moderate Disabilities license, they have the option, once recommended for certification, to apply their credits for a Master’s degree in their content area.
• Focused, Classroom-Centered Training: Our unique training model focuses on skills that are important to success as a first-year teacher. We place a focus on essential teaching skills, content-specific strategies, and intensive coaching coupled with high-quality feedback. Our specialized training is centered around practicing and applying instructional skills instead of just learning about them.
• Opportunities for Advancement: After completing the residency, motivated teachers will have opportunities to earn higher compensation by taking on grade/content-level leadership roles and additional responsibilities.
Who We Want:
• Candidates committed to applying their diverse, transferable skills from previous experiences toward positively influencing the trajectory of students—especially those from under-resourced areas—every day.
• Candidates committed to acquiring the content knowledge needed to pass all required MTEL tests and complete related program coursework.
• Candidates committed to promoting academic achievement in high-need subject areas (Moderate Disabilities, ESL, and Middle School Math) and making a difference in the lives of and outcomes for students in Springfield and Holyoke.
• No previous teaching or student-facing experience needed to apply
• Must hold at least bachelor’s degree (obtained by June 1, 2021)
• Must meet all legal requirements to work in the United States
• Must not have a valid Initial or Professional Massachusetts teaching license
• Must pass a criminal background check, FBI fingerprinting, and additional mandated background checks required by local school districts or networks
Not sure if you’re a perfect fit? Contact us! You might be that next great teacher we’re looking for!
Not for you, but know someone who might be interested? Please complete our referral form!
How to Apply
Interested in becoming a certified Middle School Math (5-8), English as a Second Language (ESL – PreK-6, 5-12), or Moderate Disabilities (ESL – PreK-6, 5-12) teacher? Apply here (Residency application launches 11/2/20)
Teach Western Mass Equity Statement:
Here at Teach Western Mass, we’re looking for educators dedicated to delivering an excellent instruction to every classroom in our region. As educators, we share a belief that all families—regardless of where they live or how much money they earn—have the right to a great education and a bright future for their children. For us, this starts with committed educators, and that could mean YOU.
We acknowledge that some candidates—especially those from underrepresented populations working in the education and non-profit sectors—may not feel their professional experience and skill-sets are a perfect match for this role. Please apply if you are passionate about this work and/or our mission calls to you, even if you are on-the-fence or wondering whether you should apply.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and encourage all to apply.