We’re redefining what’s possible in public education. We set out to tackle this education crisis with a groundbreaking school design that delivers a rigorous, whole-child education to students from all backgrounds. Today, as the fastest growing, highest-performing charter school network in New York, our network of 47 K-12 schools outperforms every district in the state, proving irrefutably that all children are capable of excellence.
We now need three high-energy External Affairs Associates to join our dynamic, fast-paced Public Affairs team.
Success Academy’s Public Affairs team works to advance K-12 public education reform and policies that support charter schools and student achievement both locally and nationally. Working with our parent communities to engage their elected officials, we advocate to ensure that NYC public charter schools have equitable resources to remain strong and continue to deliver the high-quality education children need to achieve their dreams.
Reporting to the Managing Director of External Affairs, each External Affairs Associate will be the primary point of contact and go-to resource in engaging and organizing parents and will be responsible for carrying out strategic plans to advance elected and community group engagement. Each External Affairs Associate’s portfolio will focus on a specific borough(s) in NYC (Manhattan, Queens, Bronx or Brooklyn).
Key responsibilities include:
- Recruiting, engaging, organizing and mobilizing parents;
- Create and manage directory of dedicated parent advocates;
- Proactively engage in relationship-building opportunities with elected officials and community partners;
- Execute key administrative functions such as coordinating school tours with elected officials;
- Plan and execute mobilizations for large and small scale events and press conferences,
- Holding schools accountable to meet their deliverables;
- Coordinate logistics for off-site meetings/workshops/community events and;
- Be a strong voice in communicating engagement opportunities to parent advocacy leaders via email and social media
A successful applicant will have the following experiences and characteristics:
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-3 years of full-time work experience in public affairs/ government relations/ community relations.
- Able to build strong relationships with a diverse range of people, both one-on-one and before larger groups
- Have experience in community organizing within political campaigns, non-profits or government sectors
- A strong track record in managing projects, public speaking, facilitating training sessions, verbal and written communications, effectively using technology and social media
- A passion for advancing educational opportunities for children and knowledge of education reform
- Excellent organizational skills
- A track record of coming up with new ideas and solving problems
- Motivated to meet and exceed targets and achieve goals
To join our team, please upload a cover letter and resume that outlines your candidacy. Your cover letter should explain in detail your qualifications for the position. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We actively seek applications from people of all backgrounds to strengthen our community and the perspectives needed to flourish in a multicultural world. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.Learn more about our philosophy, benefits, and team at https://jobs.successacademies.org/working-here/.