Startup Grind Jacksonville, FL
Startup & Venture Capital Intern Job Description
ABOUT STARTUP GRIND
Startup Grind is the largest independent startup community, actively educating, inspiring, and connecting more than 3,500,000 entrepreneurs in over 600 chapters. We nurture startup ecosystems in 125+ countries through events, media, and partnerships with organizations like Amazon Web Services. The cornerstone of our global community are monthly events featuring successful local founders, innovators, educators and investors who share lessons learned on the road to building great companies. Founded in Silicon Valley, Startup Grind has helped millions of entrepreneurs build their businesses, connect with strategic partners, and secure funding.
To educate, inspire & connect area entrepreneurs.
Help others before we help ourselves, give before we take, make friends not contacts.
ABOUT OUR CHAPTER
Founded in March 2019, the northeast region Jacksonville, FL chapter of Startup Grind acts as the connective tissue between all the great resources in our community. As such, we are here for those who are trying to navigate the landscape of great resources available. We also serve to contribute to the conversation as we all work to grow our entrepreneur and startup ecosystem.
ABOUT OUR ECOSYSTEM
There are some incredible people, public and private organizations, and nonprofits working very hard to ensure the entrepreneurial and startup ecosystem is well supported. Whether companies, founders, and entrepreneurs are in the ideation stage, fundraising, looking for talent, or whatever stage of their endeavor, there’s some incredible support available.
ABOUT OUR REGION
The northeast region consists of seven counties with 1.8 million residents and Jacksonville, FL is located in Duval County. We have 4 Fortune 1000 companies, 20 major banks, insurance and investment service firms, 80+ industry headquarters, 100+ aviation skilled defense contractors, second highest concentration area for veterans, 20+ hospitals, 4 logistics sectors, 3 major railroads, 1 private space port on the east coast, 10 airports, 3 major interstates (I-10, I-295, I-95) reaching 94 million residents in an 11-hour drive.
According to the Forward Cities from LISC Jacksonville Entrepreneur Ecosystem Fast Facts :30% more self-employed men than women, four times business ownership is 4 times higher for Whites than for African American, there are 30,529 self-employed workers out of 394,565 total workers.
According to Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce JAX USA https://jaxusa.org/ division industries are: · Advanced Manufacturing, Advanced Transportation Logistics – Air, Ground, Sea, and Rail, Financial Services, Health + Biomedical, IT + Innovation.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Startup & Venture Capital intern helps our chapter connect our ecosystem with promising startups, founders, talent, venture capital firms, institutional investors, incubators & accelerators locally, regionally, nationally, and globally.
This is done by helping:
- Produce & promote in-person & online events
- Sign-up for Chapter newsletter -www.startupgrind.com/Jacksonville
- Produce the Startup Grind Jacksonville podcast 2021series “The Startup Comeback”
- Assist in liaison activities related to helping our community of startups connect with funding
- Document key take-aways from each event to recap on social media platforms and chapter newsletter
- Manage the Startup Grind Jacksonville “The Startup Comeback” podcast project dashboard
- Source and communicate with upcoming guests for events
- Collaborate with other team members to contribute to and execute online events (in-person events will resume in 2022)
- Help identify promising startups, founders, entrepreneurs, and investors to invite into our ecosystem
- Keeping up with related news on startups, the startup ecosystem, etc.
- Any other support as needed
- Comfortable wearing many hats, embraces the startup life
- Flexible with their time
- Innovative and excited to try out new strategies constantly coming up with new ideas to push the envelope
- Passion for startups and venture capital
- Can be any major or year of school
- Intimate exposure to the global startup and venture capital community
- Opportunity to learn a ton and make an actual impact on the startup ecosystem, the startups within it, and their founders & teams
- Tangibly expand the personal network with founders, entrepreneurs, and investors across the globe and across all industries and sectors
- This is an unpaid internship
- Part time, between 5-15 hours per week depending on workload
- Given the global nature of Startup Grind, times may not fall within the typical 9-5 schedule
- This position is 100% remote, and around the schedule of the candidate
Please refer all questions and inquiries to the Chapter Director, Therese W. Gamble at email@example.com.