Stanley Black & Decker Leadership Program
Come Build The World With Us
This is the career you’ve been waiting for your whole life. Joining the Stanley Black & Decker team means working in an innovative, tech-driven, and highly collaborative team environment supported by over 58,000 professionals in 60 countries across the globe. Here, you’ll get the unique chance to impact some of the world’s most iconic brands including STANLEY TOOLS, DEWALT, CRAFTSMAN, MAC TOOLS, and Black & Decker. Your ideas and solutions have the potential to reach millions of customers as we work together to write the next chapter in our history. Come build with us and take your career to new heights.
Who We Are
We’re the World’s largest tool company. We design and develop the tools that are used to change the world every day here in our engineering headquarters in Towson, Maryland. Our design teams are involved with every step of the process bringing these world-class products to life. From conducting end-user research to identifying new needs, to designing and prototyping tools to ensure we meet our customers high expectations, to creating robust tests to guarantee the tools we make stand up to the toughest environments, our engineers own every aspect of the process along the way.
The Stanley Black & Decker Leadership Program (SLP) is a rotational program that is an integrated process for accelerating the development of our future leaders. It is geared toward recent graduates with a Mechanical or Electrical Engineering internship experience and a relevant engineering degree who have a passion for a long-term career in engineering, and product design and development.
Engineering SLPs have on average two 12-month rotations in different engineering segments of Power Tools Group, the largest business unit within the Tools & Storage division. Each rotation has project assignments that allow participants to become familiar with how we do business and contribute to the success of that segment. The program offers invaluable experiences for early-career associates seeking challenging developmental opportunities to jump-start their careers. This high-profile opportunity will provide a great deal of company-wide exposure and professional growth.
Who You Are
You’re a problem solver who is eager to apply your engineering prowess to develop a new product. You like getting your hands dirty and digging into an issue to find out what’s causing the problem. You want to be in an environment where there is room to learn and grow your abilities with experts there to guide you along the way. You’re agile and adaptable but work with precision to ensure we deliver top-notch customer experiences, always. You want to work on a project where you can see the fruits of your labor come to life and enjoy getting to see the finished product on the shelves of major retailers around the globe. You also have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electromechanical, or Electrical Engineering from an accredited college/university
- 3.0 GPA upon graduating
- Experience in CAD & drafting
- Ability to execute with the highest degree of integrity and accountability.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate well across all levels of the organization.
- Facilitating, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Experience using various computer applications including Microsoft Excel, Access and other applications included in the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must have a “can-do” attitude – the desire to go above and beyond in all you do!
- Possible international travel to visit manufacturing locations (post-COVID)
What You’ll Do
As an Engineering SLP, you’ll be part of our Global Tools & Storage team located in Towson, MD. Specifically, you’ll:
- Successfully support the design process to achieve all quality, performance, schedule, and cost objectives in a cross-functional environment.
- Perform hands-on concept development, prototyping, product testing, data collection, and definition of product specifications.
- Carry out system analysis to ensure product assembly and functionality remain consistent throughout its lifetime.
- Investigate design issues & test failures, and identify, recommend and implement corrective actions to components.
- Construct 3D models to evaluate design options
- Be involved with cross-functional teams (Product Marketing, Reliability, Field Research) to help identify and define customer requirements and develop the tests to duplicate end-user tasks
- Work in a core team of 3-4 engineers/designers to develop a product from start to finish
Benefits & Perks
You’ll get a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits plan that includes medical, dental, life, vision, wellness program, disability, 401k, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Paid Time Off, including paid vacation, holidays & personal days, and tuition reimbursement. And, of course, discounts on Stanley Black & Decker tools and products and well as discount programs for many other vendors and partners.
What You’ll Also Get
- Career Opportunity: Career paths aren’t linear here. Being part of our global company with 60+ brands gives you the chance to grow and develop your skills along multiple career paths. We need all kinds of people, so whether you want to become a technical expert, or grow your skills in multiple disciplines, you have come to the right spot.
- Learning & Development: Our lifelong learning philosophy means you’ll have access to a wealth of state-of-the-art learning resources, including our Lean Academy and online university (where you can get certificates and specializations from renowned colleges and universities). We also focus on having technical experts in each area that are there to guide you along the way so you are never alone.
- Diverse & Inclusive Culture: We pride ourselves on being an awesome place to work. We respect and embrace differences because that’s how the best work gets done. You’ll find we like to have fun here, too.
- Purpose-Driven Company: You’ll help us continue to make positive changes in the local communities where we work and live as well as in the broader world through volunteerism, giving back, and sustainable business practices.
- Hands-On Environment: We love tools and using them! We have prototyping, use & handling, testing, inspection, and metallurgy labs all right here in Towson.
Stanley Black & Decker is one of the world’s largest, fastest-growing, and most dynamic companies. SBD, a Fortune 200 company is a world-leading provider of tools and storage, commercial electronic security, and engineered fastening systems, with unique growth platforms and a track record of sustained profitable growth.
All qualified applicants to Stanley Black & Decker are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran’s status, or any other protected characteristic.