WELCOME TO SHERWIN-WILLIAMS
Here, we believe there’s not one path to success, we believe in careers that grow with you. Whoever you are or wherever you come from in the world, there’s a place for you at Sherwin Williams. We provide you with the opportunity to explore your curiosity and drive us forward. We’ll give you the space to share your strengths and we want you to show us what you can do. You can innovate, grow and discover in a place where you can thrive and Let Your Colors Show! Sherwin-Williams values the unique talents and abilities from all backgrounds and characteristics. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply, including individuals with disabilities and Protected Veterans.
This position is a 6-month co-op experience that will work with the Sherwin-Williams Performance Coatings Group R&D Commercialization team. The R&D Co-op will be assigned to a mentor and will develop knowledge about Process Engineering, LEAN, Six Sigma and overall Continuous Improvement.
This position will be 40 hours a week June-December 2021.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
• Provide support to technicians, chemists and scientists within assigned Research & Development Group.
• Support processing equipment maintenance and troubleshooting.
• Perform a variety of laboratory tasks utilizing general instruments and advanced lab equipment.
• Collaborate with other research and development team members to complete required tasks, including process chemistry and engineering and material science research groups.
• Complete appropriate research documentation, calculations, and data analysis and effectively communicate these results with supervisor and team members.
• Prepare basic samples, materials, equipment, and other required tools for laboratory tests or development.
• Perform basic technical development, tests, analyses, and research based on formulas and project requirements.
• Complete appropriate forms and documentation regarding research and development processes, tasks, results, reports and conclusions; receives direction from engineer on specialized or complex issues.
• Perform basic calculations to prepare, perform, and conclude tests and analyses.
• Clean, maintain and calibrate standard equipment and maintain a clean and safe working environment.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Must be able to sit, stand, hear, and see on a constant basis.
• Must be able to walk, write, and type on a frequent basis.
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
• Must be able to climb and descend stairs.
• Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing.
• May work in areas where toxic, flammable, and hazardous materials are present.
• Employee must be able to tolerate non-toxic paint odors and be able to wear a respirator as required.
• Employee must be able to operate a computer and communicate via telephone.
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 20 lbs. frequently and up to 50 lbs. on occasion
• Currently enrolled in a college or university as at least a sophomore and actively working towards a degree in any of the following: coatings, chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, or polymer science, business, engineering.
• Must have a High School diploma or equivalent
• Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
• Must be available to work 40 hours per week (first shift) for a total of 6 months
• Basic understanding of laboratory practices and safety
• Previous experience working in a R&D or lab environment
• Previous team/group experience-employment, volunteer or extracurricular activities
• Experience with MS Office, Business Objects
Who we are
At Sherwin-Williams, we’re proud of the company we keep — our family of loyal employees. To learn about our company and our culture go to Sherwin.com/careers.
Sherwin-Williams is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic information, creed, marital status or any other consideration prohibited by law or by contract.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Sherwin-Williams requests state and local employment services delivery systems to provide priority referral of Protected Veterans.