At Plenty, we’re on a mission to give people in local communities everywhere access to the freshest, most amazing tasting produce possible. And to do so in a way that’s better for the planet.
The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of how we do that. We are an ag-tech company looking for a Senior Grower who is excited to bring innovation and reliability to indoor farming. If you enjoy working in a fast-paced energetic environment, you’ve found the right place!
The Senior Grower will manage the seed start and propagation, transplant, grow and harvest process for the entire indoor farm. Responsible for the planning and execution of Plenty’s seed to harvest recipes across multiple crops within a food safe environment and leading the discipline for reliable harvests. Knowledge/experience of machines and equipment in such environments and process balancing to meet daily and weekly production plans. This is an experienced-level position requiring strong leadership skills to recruit and build a team of growers and farm associates in order to reliably produce great tasting fruits and vegetables.
Type of Role
What You’ll Do
This will be a hands-on role where you will be harvesting and transplanting crops, monitoring and controlling plant nutrition, and managing high-intensity plant production equipment
The Senior Grower will oversee and direct a variety of farm-wide activities:
- Establish germination, propagation and growing processes to generate reliable high yield farm output to meet weekly demand
- Lead a team of associates to meet production schedules
- Coordinate equipment, raw materials, processing tools, training and resource balancing to meet daily seeding, transplanting and harvesting schedules
- Establish guidelines for process completion time commitments
- Monitors and adjusts irrigation, nutrient, lighting and climate to minimize farm environment variation and optimize plant health and output
- Establish and maintains food safe environment and processes including daily cleaning with staff and farm associates
- Conducts 24-7 farm grow cycle scheduling and coverage to ensure no farm disruption
- Implements strict budgetary controls
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations
- Responsible for making sure all employees Comply with GMP/GAPS in the Facility
- Responsible for making sure all employees are completing Food Safety tasks (monitoring activities, logs, sanitation duties, etc)
- Assist in the maintenance of the Food Safety and Quality system.
- Participate in the annual Management review of the Food Safety and quality system
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor of Science degree in agriculture, business or other with experience in agriculture
- Understanding of plant science, horticulture and plant materials, propagation, pest management, crop production
- 5+ years experience working in greenhouse or production environment
- Ability to implement and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Agriculture – Knowledge of plant material functionality, plant biology, and plant biochemistry a plus
- Experience in a manufacturing (or similar) environment where disciplined process, product quality, on-time deliveries and attention to cleanliness is paramount
- Coordination and Supervision – demonstrated experience in leading teams
- Food Safety – understanding of processes, tools, cleaning techniques, worker clothing and behavior to meet and exceeds food safety requirements for the proper work zone
- Worker Health & Safety – demonstrated experience as a contributor to safe work practices, caring about employees and leading by example
- Experience with common data collection, analysis and documentation tools
- Collaborative – problem solves well with other managers, team leads and associates
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
Food Safety Requirements
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations.
- Comply with GMP/GAPS in the Facility
- Conduct monitoring activities to assure finished product comply with food safety and quality specifications
- Assist in the maintenance of Food Safety and Quality system.
Plenty is a new kind of farm for a new kind of world. We’re on a mission to bring fresh, local produce to communities everywhere in a way that’s better for the environment by using 1% of the water, 1% of the land, and none of the synthetic pesticides or fertilizers of conventional agriculture. Our local field-scale indoor farms are creating a healthier, more delicious and sustainable future.