Have you ever thought of making an extraordinary difference and bring energy and passion to your future career? PJM Interconnection runs the power grid and supports 65 million people every day by ensuring energy reliability. When your lights come on its possible PJM had something to do with it. How would you like to be part of a socially conscious and inclusive company with great benefits and a learning culture? If you are interested in a new career, have the ability to learn complex ideas and concepts quickly and don’t mind working various shifts – consider joining the PJM Team.
PJM’s Master Coordinator is responsible for properly scheduling the PJM electricity system in accordance with applicable governing rules and ensures the consistent administration of energy transactions. Master Coordinators have the responsibility and the authority to take direct and timely real-time actions without obtaining higher level approval to prevent electric reliability problems including significant power outages.
Master Coordinators must have an understanding or the ability to learn the following:
- Basic principles and theory of electricity and interconnected system operations
- Energy forecasting techniques and analysis.
- Operating policies and procedures and PJM energy markets
- Neighboring electricity systems and their interactions with PJM.
- PJM computer systems and programs utilized to perform these functions
- Understanding of the regional transmission policies that govern transmission service
This is a rotating shift position and requires staffing 7 x 24, including holidays. This position requires successful testing through the Profiles XT assessment and obtaining NERC/PJM Certification and other training requirements within the allotted timeframe. The Profiles XT assessment is a validated testing process that evaluates the success of system operators at PJM.
The Master Coordinator position is as an entry point for all new hires and requires advancement to the next level – Generation Dispatcher – within a specified time period. All Master Coordinators must receive training and pass tests (written and simulator) for the Generation Dispatcher position no later than whenever management determines an on-the-job trainer is available for him/her and s/he has completed the necessary 12 week training period.
Characteristics and Qualifications:
- High School Diploma
- Two to seven years of electrical industry experience with strong customer contact experience.
- Motivation to learn PJM’s core business and associated technologies.
- Demonstrated strong aptitude for mathematics and electrical theory and the ability to adapt to new complex computer systems.
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills
- Willingness to submit to the PSP validated Power System Operator Examination and receive a satisfactory recommendation.
- Ability to work in an operating environment that requires 7×24 rotating shift work including holidays and weekends.
- Energy Market and Power System Operations Experience
- BS or AS in Engineering or other technical degree
- Leadership Experience
- NERC Certification
- Past shift work experience
- NERC Certified System Operator
- PJM Certified System Operator
- Must pass NERC certification exam prior to assuming shift duties, and to pass other relevant certification exams required by regulatory agencies, as well as PJM Generation certification within two years of assuming shift duties.
PJM Interconnection is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, LGBTQIA+ community, abled differently individuals and veterans.