Interns will immerse themselves in an 8 to 10 week research experience over the summer (June-August), working directly with established mentors in various fields of biomedical research, including, but not limited to, cancer biology, immunology, cell and developmental biology, and biomedical engineering. Interns will attend weekly education sessions covering topics from cutting-edge technologies and choice of model system, to career development. Students also participate in a weekly journal club where they will develop skills required to read and critically evaluate primary literature. As a culminating experience, each intern will prepare and present their research at the final poster session to their peers and members of the Cell, Developmental & Cancer Biology Department (CDCB) and Knight Cancer Institute (KCI). View the 2022 program schedule.
The 2023 program will run Tuesday, June 6th, through Friday, August 11th. Alternatively, we offer Monday, June 19th as a secondary start date to accommodate students who are unable to begin in early June. Please indicate which date you will be starting in your application.
The CDCB-KCI Summer Internship offers:
- Direct hands-on experience in basic laboratory techniques.
- An introduction to experimental design and critical thinking.
- Participation in a guided project facilitated by an experienced researcher, culminating in a poster presentation.
- Development of written and oral communication skills.
- Networking opportunities with a broad community of scientists.
- Both wet and dry lab experiences.
- A $500 weekly stipend, for up to 10 weeks.
- Housing and airfare support for a limited number of students.
When applications open, please have the below documents prepared as we will ask for you to upload them as part of your application:
- Your resume. Highlight science courses and relevant lab experience if applicable.
- A one-page single-spaced essay on why you are applying and how you expect the experience to facilitate your career goals. Highlight previous laboratory experience if applicable.
- Unofficial transcript(s) for the last 12 months (official copies will be required for admitted students).
- 2 letters of recommendation are preferred, though only one recommendation letter is required.
All applications and materials must be submitted by the deadline of February 6, 2023; no late applications are accepted. Notifications will be sent out in early March 2023.