As a student of nursing or a recent graduate, gain valuable experience serving alongside the nursing staff at the Nazareth Hospital EMMS in Israel. Experience how serving a community medically can also be ministry and outreach. Experience community life with staff and volunteers. Medical experience can be gained in the Emergency Room, Maternity ward, NICU, or Dialysis unit. The hospital is affiliated with Bar-Ilan University and is committed to the development of medical education and research. Each year the hospital has many students of medicine, nursing and other medical fields from universities and colleges from Israel and around the world. You would be co-hosted by this Hospital and our local OM team.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Be part of the life of the ward, working with local nurses to care for the patients, usually in the ER, Maternity ward, NICU, or Dialysis unit.
- Work a 5-day week, with the possibility of two different placements within the weekly schedule. Shifts are normally 7 hours, starting at 7:30am (earliest) until 3pm (latest). The ER can be a little more flexible, as mornings tend to be quieter with afternoons and evenings getting busier!
- Participate in community life, including events, prayer times, pastoral meetings, and monthly day trips to local sites.
- Additional involvement in pastoral work is also possible through chaplaincy or crafts and activities with patients.
More Information about this Opportunity:
- Cost includes pick up from Ben Gurion airport, a monthly day trip and accommodation and meals as provided on the hospital campus.
- This is a great opportunity to experience Medical ministry in a Muslim community, particularly if you are considering using your medical skills outside the USA.
- Video about this internship: NursingInternshipVideo2.mp4
Websites for more information on this hospital:
- For the hospital itself: https://nazhosp.com/news/?lang=en
- For the Hospital’s main organisation, the Nazareth Trust: https://nazarethtrust.org/
Qualifications and Skills:
No specific skills or experience are required to do the internship, just a desire to learn and get experience helping nursing staff in hospital ward in a different country and culture. Participants must be up to date with all vaccinations required by the government. List can be provided upon request
- All interns must formally accept and abide by OM USA’s Statement of Faith for the duration of the internship.
- International internships are not paid positions and all financial needs should be covered with personal support.
- Pre-Field training happens through on-line materials and Skype sessions with coaches and other interns for a few weeks leading up departure date. Includes debriefing with coaches on return.
- Accepting applications with flexible dates and duration of internship. Minimum commitment of 6 weeks, but longer commitments are welcome and encouraged. Available all year round.
Qualifications of on-field supervisor:
- Medical supervisor is the Director of Nursing at the hospital. Additional local supervision supplied by our local OM team.
- Degree Credit available upon the approval of your university/college supervisors.