Are you passionate about public lands and making a positive impact on the environment? Do you thrive in collaborative work environments and value diverse and unique learning opportunities? Are you eager to connect your personal interests to a mission-driven organization that supports professional growth? NEEF has an excellent opportunity for a National Public Lands Day (NPLD) Intern to join our team.
The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF) is a national leader in building public environmental literacy. Congressionally chartered in 1990 as a 501c3 nonprofit to complement the work of the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), NEEF is a non-partisan, non-advocacy organization working to make the environment more accessible, relatable, relevant, and connected to the daily lives of all Americans. NEEF collaborates with respected organizations, from both the public and private sector, to develop programs and trainings, organize events, and fund projects that empower people to positively impact our environment. NEEF’s major partners include Toyota, 3M, and International Paper as well as multiple federal government agencies. Through its network, NEEF aims to inspire the public to learn about their relationship to the environment and increase their environmental involvement.
NPLD is the nation’s largest hands-on volunteer effort to improve and enhance the public lands Americans enjoy. Under the supervision of the Program Director, Public Lands Engagement and in coordination with all NEEF staff, the intern will assist with data management and partnership outreach for NPLD as well as support staff in promoting, capturing, and reporting activities occurring on public lands during the annual celebration. Responsibilities include researching and communicating with on-the-ground partners, developing content for social media, supporting the distribution of grant funding, and managing a database of new and returning NPLD event coordinators.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Create new content and research relevant content to publish to NEEF’s social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube).
· Work with external partners to design and implement strategies for expanding social media reach.
· Assist with outreach to new and returning NPLD event coordinators, volunteer groups, and nonprofit organizations.
· Compile and send weekly registration reports to NPLD Federal Partners.
· Manage communications received through the NPLD inbox and customer service phone line.
· Support planning, execution, and promotion for NPLD events, including the 2021 Signature Event.
· Maintain relevant data in NEEF’s cloud-based CRM systems (Salesforce).
· Produce reports that illustrate the impact of National Public Lands Day.
· Other administrative duties as needed.
Skills, Knowledge, and Expertise
· Minimum Education: High school diploma or GED and actively working toward a degree in Communications, Business, or related field and an interest in Resource Management, Environmental Studies, or related field.
· Outstanding research and writing skills.
· Excellent attention to detail when proofreading, copyediting, and fact-checking.
· Professional demeanor, organization, and communication skills.
· Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks on deadline.
· Comfortable using Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.
· Mastery with Microsoft Word and Excel.
· WordPress or other blog platform experience is a plus!
· Photoshop/photo-editing experience is a plus!
· Team player with open and candid communication style; willing and able to appropriately challenge thinking and actions.
Salary: The internship is 20 hours per week and pays $15.20/hour. This is a four-month internship.
To apply: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include NPLD Intern in the subject line. NEEF’s office is based in Washington, DC, but our team is currently teleworking due to the pandemic. Local applicants are preferred.
At NEEF, diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity applies to both our workforce and the communities we serve.
NEEF is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer and is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. NEEF is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment.