At Moffitt Cancer Center, we come face-to-face with cancer every day, but we also see courage. And it inspires us to be the safest and best place for cancer care – to bring greater hope to every patient we serve. It’s why we’ve been continually named One of the Top Places to Work in the Tampa Bay Area. As the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, Moffitt employs some of the best and brightest minds from around the world. Moffitt is the leading cancer hospital in both Florida and the Southeast and has been nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report since 1999. Because working at Moffitt is both a career and a mission: to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Join a dedicated, diverse and inclusive team of over 7,000 to be a part of the Courageous future we envision.
The Monastyrskyi lab at Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute (Tampa, Fl) is seeking a highly motivated synthetic organic chemist and/or medicinal chemist to join a comprehensive drug discovery program to develop small molecules for studying and modulating therapeutically relevant cancer targets.
Dr. Monastyrskyi is conducting highly interdisciplinary research focused on preclinical and IND safety assessment candidates’ developments which cover synthetic organic chemistry, medicinal chemistry, computer-assisted drug design, cheminformatics, and chemical biology. For further information on our laboratory and research program, please visit – http://monastyrskyi.moffitt.org
- The successful candidate will be involved in design and synthesis of small molecule modulators targeting kinase proteins and/or other targets relevant to cancer.
- The position will allow the candidate to develop valuable new skills and experience in drug discovery and chemical biology that include but not limited to:
- Drug discovery tool synthesis and development
- Analysis of in vitro and in vivo activity of compounds
- Structure-based drug design
- Hit-to-lead progression
- ADME and PK-driven lead optimization
- Pre-clinical candidate selection
The Ideal Candidate:
- The candidate must be independent in designing synthetic routes, solving challenging synthetic problems, efficient in synthesizing targeted molecules (including multi-step synthesis) and using modern purification and characterization techniques (such as preparative HPLC, LC/MS, NMR and flash purification system.)
- Experience with the safe handling of reactive and air-sensitive materials.
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to interpret complex information and data.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- The duties will include design, synthesis, purification and characterization of new heterocyclic small molecules of existing leads to develop biologically active compounds for testing in biochemical, cell-based and in vivo assays.
- Design and synthesis of chemical probes for chemical proteomics and detailed mode-of-action studies.
- Multi-gram reaction scale-up.
- Contribute to the development of research techniques and methods in collaboration with other lab members.
- Documentation of all experiments in electronic notebooks including written, publication- quality experimental procedures, MS and NMR records.
- Present research outputs, including drafting academic publications or parts thereof, posters and oral presentations.
- Provide guidance, as required, to support any graduate or undergraduate students who may be assisting with the research.
- Contributing to Center-wide drug discovery activities.
- The appointed Postdoctoral Fellow will often be required to work on several projects concurrently and also needs to have the experience to be able to operate within a multidisciplinary research environment.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- Applicant must have a Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry with specific experience in heterocyclic chemistry and/or methodology development. A pending doctoral degree may be considered with approval of the Principal Investigator.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send a single PDF file by email that includes:
- a cover letter summarizing outlining candidate’s motivations and suitability
- a summary of research accomplishments (4 pages maximum)
- current CV with recent publications and
- contact information for three references to Dr. Monastyrskyi firstname.lastname@example.org