Do you have the analytic skills to find insight in a pile of healthcare data? Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment? Milliman’s NYC Health Practice is seeking professionals from a variety of analytic and clinical backgrounds to join our vibrant staff. We offer challenging projects, world-class resources, expert colleagues, a collaborative environment, and diverse client projects. Work, learn, and grow with us.
Milliman’s NYC Health Practice consults to clients on disease processes, treatments, costs, healthcare reform, risk, and payer systems. Our clients span all sectors of the health industry. Our services include analyzing financial arrangements, innovative contracts, disease states, therapeutic value, benefit design, healthcare reform, and health systems. We have brought unparalleled actuarial, analytical, and operational expertise to these clients.
Milliman is the world’s premier actuarial consulting firm with over 3,000 employees and $800 million in revenue. We attribute our 60+ years of continuous growth to our environment where independent and talented individuals succeed as outstanding professionals. We have a collegial, rigorous, supportive and non-bureaucratic environment.
We seek energetic and imaginative professionals to join our client-oriented team at our Penn Station, New York City location. Successful candidates will have the potential to become project/client leaders and become recognized as expert senior consultants.
The Health Informatics and Outcomes team of the NY Health Practice is looking for an analyst with strong critical thinking and technical skills to contribute to a variety of projects. This role is the ideal opportunity for someone with a desire to improve their technical and data literacy skills while gaining valuable experience in the field of healthcare.
Analysts have the opportunity to develop their skills on a diverse set of projects, a sample of which include:
- Bundled Payment Reporting Interfaces: Interactive data visualization tools that allow providers who are participating in CMS bundled payment models to understand the costs and utilization of participating episodes of care. (More information here: http://www.milliman.com/Solutions/Products/Bundled-Payment-Reporting-Interface/#)
- Healthcare cost and utilization analysis: Analysis of Milliman’s vast administrative claims databases to help clients understand the cost and utilization associated with various patient populations. We frequently publish these analyses in white papers and peer-reviewed publications.
- Health outcomes modeling: Interactive Excel-based models that allow clients to understand how changes in treatment procedures or health behaviors affect cost and utilization outcomes.
- Conduct hands-on data analytics, such as coding of patient identification algorithms and cost and utilization outcomes (e.g. readmission measures, quality measures). Produce code that is logically organized and well-documented.
- Learn and apply innovative techniques to large claims datasets to analyze a wide array of healthcare-related topics
- Create and execute claims processing procedures that are organized and time- and resource-efficient
- Derive insights from data and clearly articulate these insights to team members verbally and/or through exhibits
- Create and prepare neat and error-free exhibits and reports summarizing findings for client delivery
- Work in collaboration with analysts, consultants, and actuaries to produce deliverables for clients in a timely manner
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, preferably in a quantitative (e.g. math, statistics) or healthcare-related field (e.g. Masters in Public Health)
- At least two years of experience analyzing medical insurance claims with SAS and/or SQL
- Experience using Microsoft Excel to build models
- Understanding of medical coding systems (CPT, ICD-9, DRG, etc.)
- Experience or knowledge of the healthcare industry and payer systems
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills, with a knack for finding and investigating trends and patterns in data
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to be precise and clear when describing results of data analyses
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks with little supervision
- Ability to work on and organize concurrent projects
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- New York City location; this job requires working with colleagues in our office
- Experience conducting analyses using MarketScan and/or Medicare (or similar) databases
- Experience with or interest in data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Qlikview)
- Advanced skills in SAS (macros, PROC SQL)
Bachelors or better.
Masters or better.
2 years: Experience using advanced excel functionality (VBA, macros), SAS, and/or SQL in a professional capacity