This is an entry level Detention Officer Position. Candidates are responsible for the direct supervision of an inmate population. Specific duties include visually monitoring and supervising inmates, monitoring visitations, maintaining computerized log entries, ensuring the safety and security of the jails/facilities, and preparing reports as necessary.
Selected candidates must successfully pass a comprehensive background investigation, Psychological, and Physical Examination. Candidate must be of good moral character and must have no serious criminal history which would prevent the applicant from being able to obtain certification as a Detention Officer from the North Carolina Sheriffs’ Education and Training Standards Commission. Candidate must also adhere to the standards set by Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office. The Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office requires training for 10 weeks and includes classroom instructions and strenuous daily physical activities (running, push-ups, sit-ups, lifting heavy objects, etc.).
· Candidate must have a High School Diploma, or G.E.D. equivalence.
· Candidate must possess a valid driver’s license and clean driving history.
· Candidate must be able to pass a drug screening and complete medical examination by a licensed physician, including psychological testing and evaluation.
· Candidate must 21 years of age prior to hire date.
· Candidate must be a U.S. citizen.
· Candidate must be able to pass our agency physical fitness and comprehension test.
· Candidate must have a clean criminal record to include no felony convictions.
· Candidate must not have had a DWI conviction within the past five years.
· Candidate must have Honorable Military Discharge, if applicable.