Do you possess an entrepreneurial spirit? Do you thrive in performance-based environments that reward work ethic, integrity and “doing the right thing”? Would you be interested in growing your career within the proven framework of a world class, industry leading mechanical contractor? If you are interested in developing and executing solutions to complex problems in the fast-paced construction environment, McKenney’s Inc. may have the position you are looking for.
With our strong focus on customer relations and our ability to quickly deliver high quality mechanical solutions safely, McKenney’s Inc. is growing in the Southeastern United States. For over 70 years McKenney’s has attracted the best people as well as the best customers. We pride ourselves on consistently performing above our customer’s expectations, and we constantly challenge our people and processes to strive for improvement. As a third generation family owned company, we are financially strong and one of the most technology driven mechanical contractors in the country.
The Sales Engineer will have primary responsibility to develop schematic design, budgets, estimates and proposals for a wide range of Commercial and Industrial mechanical and plumbing projects as assigned by developing strategies that are in accordance with company objectives and goals. This shall also include such tasks as client interface, negotiate project scope and price, perform technical and fiscal studies. These studies may encompass performance of load calculations, energy simulations and equipment selections. Provide direction and serve as leader, role model and mentor for other Sales Engineers, Estimators and Assistant Estimators. Working in a team environment, the Sales Engineer will utilize all available resources in Preconstruction to assure accurate plumbing, HVAC, and sheet metal estimates. Improving the estimating tools, interfacing with computer systems, and leading change within preconstruction processes will also be required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Developing complete and accurate schematic designs based solely on a written narrative and/or concept with only a building outline to use.
- Develop HVAC schematic designs including, but not limited to, duct sizing & routing, air distribution selection, pipe sizing & routing.
- Developing complete and accurate schematic and design development budgets with minimal information.
- Lead a team on the estimating effort relevant to a bid/project through each phase including the construction document estimate.
- Review a bid/project with team members from operations to gain their insight and buy-in to the project cost and proposal for any given project or bid
- Develop and negotiate mechanical and plumbing scope and price for projects through education.
- Creating detailed scope letters to communicate clearly to our customers our scope, budget and schedule.
- Review design options, develop comparative estimates and recommend best solution based on first cost, pay-back, engineering quality, and sustainability.
- Interface with the client and maintain client satisfaction.
- Clearly communicate, reconcile and sell differences that occur to a client between the various budget phases.
- Perform material and labor take-offs when necessary.
- Call on vendors for material and subcontractor bids or budget recommendations.
- Attend job meetings and pre-bid meetings.
- Help secure work through preparation for and performance during pre-award project interviews.
- Become familiar with EstMEP software and Model Est
- Use existing estimating tools and prepare estimates.
- Use computer skills to facilitate improvement of estimating systems and selection of software.
- Stay current with material and labor costs in order to address escalation during budgeting of long term projects.
- Develop and support budgeting tools for different building types and systems.
- Explore and create new innovative processes and technologies for continuous improvements to the Preconstruction Support Group including BIM.
- Help convert budgets into tools for operations to manage the construction process.
- Continuously analyze actual costs and modify budget assumptions accordingly.
- Interact with business development software to follow-up on active quotes and sell work.
- Conduct a turnover meeting on awarded projects to fully engage all business units in that project prior to disengagement of preconstruction
- B.S in Engineering or Building Sciences or at least 8 years of experience in estimating commercial HVAC projects
- At least 2 years of experience in design, preconstruction or management of large commercial, institutional or industrial mechanical and plumbing construction projects.
- PE License
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering
- Experience with mechanical estimating software, specifically EstMEP, FastPipe, and Quote Express
- Expert in mechanical system costs.
- Experience in project management.
- Experience with CRM as a mindset
- Experience with Salesforce as a CRM tool.
- LEED, AP
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Overall knowledge of the mechanical industry.
- Experience with collaborating with the architectural, structural and electrical industries.
- Ability to build relationships in the architectural, engineering and general contracting industries to help find & negotiate work.
- Must be a self-starter, with ability to work well as part of a team and independently.
- Must function well in a performance-based environment
- Must have a competitive spirit and desire to be the best
- Must exhibit servant leadership
- Ability to use time productively, maximize efficiency, and meets challenging work goals.
- Ability to maintain painstaking attention to detail while completing multiple or repetitive tasks
- Able to demonstrate a serious commitment to accuracy and quality while meeting goals or deadlines.
- Ability to take on additional responsibilities as needed as well as determine and manage priorities with minimal guidance.
- Must possess and maintain exceptional work ethic as well as uphold company values and demand the highest standard of conduct from self and others.
- Must project a professional and polished image that inspires confidence and trust.
- Must have basic PC experience in Windows environments, working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook), Web-enabled applications and database software. Have intermediate level experience with Excel.
- Ability to convey technical requirements/systems in fundamental terms
- Expert in mechanical systems and the schematic design of these systems
Moving Safety Forward, our initiative for continuous improvements in our safety culture, reminds us that we are on a journey toward a zero-incident culture. In all we do, we must work to build a partnership with our employees, customers and business associates that empowers them all with the ability to do their jobs safely.
McKenney’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. Qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to age, color, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin. McKenney’s is a smoke-free and drug-free workplace.