POSITION: Director of Athletics and Youth Recreation, Jr. Sr. High Support Personnel
POSTING PERIOD: April 26, 2021, until filled
START DATE: July 1, 2021
- Valid Michigan teaching certificate and administrative certification preferred.
- Coaching experience required. Additional leadership experience preferred.
- Strong leadership qualities, including the ability to communicate effectively and relate positively with students, parents, staff, and other members of the community.
- Demonstrated interest in athletics in support of the academic and personal success of students.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate schedules, communicate and work well with others, including students, parents, staff, and the media.
- Computer literacy skills in order in order to maintain necessary records and work with the district’s student information system.
- Previous experience in the supervision and evaluation of staff preferred.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION:
The Director of Athletics and Youth Recreation is responsible for coordinating all district athletic programs and the feeder programs which support the youth throughout the greater Lawrence community. The Director must possess excellent leadership, communication, and management skills in order to work collaboratively with staff, students, parents and community to promote positive, productive, safe and orderly programs. If qualified, the Director may be considered for open coaching positions within the District.
- Functions as a contributing member to the administrative team in visioning, long- and short-range planning, coordination, decision-making, and professional growth activities.
- Responsible for all aspects of the athletic program.
- Schedules all school-sponsored athletic activities.
- Establishes coaching assignments and develops annual athletic budgets.
- Interviews applicants for coaching positions and recommends individuals to be hired to the principal and superintendent.
- Supervises and evaluates all head and assistant coaches to ensure that district expectations and job description responsibilities are met.
- Works with district staff to comply with all state and federal requirements and reporting.
- Ensures that proper safety procedures are followed.
- Monitors student eligibility for athletic practice and competition in accordance with state and local policy.
- Creates a district culture which builds school spirit, engages students and encourages participation in physical fitness and athletic extra-curricular activities.
- Active recruitment of students in grades 6-12
- Active development of coaches
- Coordinates the use of school athletic facilities with other school personnel and maintains and publishes athletic event calendars.
- Coordinates with the transportation supervisor to arrange student transportation as needed for athletic activities.
- Supervises budgeting and finances for all district athletic teams and programs, including the selection and purchasing of materials, in accordance with district guidelines.
- Coordinates and directs the youth recreation programs sponsored by Lawrence Public Schools and in coordination with other community youth recreation groups.
- Oversees and monitors classroom to support high school students working in credit recovery programs.
- Responsible for lunch room monitoring of students in grades 7-12, daily
- Performs other such duties as may be assigned by the building Principal and/or Superintendent of Schools.
REPORTS TO: Jr. Sr. High Principal
Interested persons should submit a letter of application, résumé, transcripts, and at least three letters of reference to:
Thomas Reed, Principal
Lawrence Public Schools
650 W. St. Joseph St.
Lawrence, MI 49064
Or submit by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Board of Education of Lawrence Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, height, weight, marital status, or any other legally protected characteristic, in its programs and activities including employment opportunities.
Posted: April 26, 2021