*This position is currently available as a remote internship due to COVID-19.
Grant Writer Intern
- Assist our program director with writing institutional grants and coordinating all aspects of proposal development
- Assist our program director with developing compelling proposal narratives that meet funder guidelines and clearly communicate concepts
- Assist our program director with conducting research on existing and prospective funders to build the capacity of Kirstin’s Haven, Inc. programs
- Assist our program director by expanding our portfolio of grants to secure additional resources, both restricted and unrestricted
- Assist our program director with tracking all proposals
- Assist our program director by helping identify and incorporate compelling research and data into proposals to support requests for funding
- Assist our program director with corresponding with foundation and corporate program officers for clarification on proposal guidelines, site visits, and follow-up communication as needed
- Assist our program director by helping plan and coordinate site visits
- Assist our program director with budget preparation as needed
- Assist our program director with other writing projects as needed
- Assist our program director with developing, growing and managing a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
Strategic Planning and Fund Management
- Assist our program director by creating, implementing and evaluating a diversified annual development plan with clearly defined goals, objectives, timelines and tactics.
- Assist our program director with providing progress reports to the Executive team (includes quarterly revenue metrics and evaluations of processes related to fundraising).
Marketing and Communications
- Sustain and oversee online communication (e-mails, social media posts, etc.) and calendar for development related activities.
- Experience in increasingly responsible fundraising and leadership roles
- Experience with grant writing, creative writing, or preparing proposals
- Familiarity with current best practice fundraising strategies
- Superb communication skills, both written and verbal; delivered with empathy and finesse
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred, or equivalent experience
Additional Experience (Not Required)
- Any knowledge of IRS regulations and policies and procedures related to non-profit fundraising
- Knowledge of foundations and government agencies that supports veteran and housing agencies
- Familiarity with the Prince George’s, Montgomery, Baltimore, Charles County (Maryland)
- A minimum of two years of non-profit grant writing experience or creative writing experience
- Skilled in proactive action, independent thinking, and problem-solving with a demonstrated initiative in meeting aggressive fundraising goals
- Strong collaborator and effective communicator who can manage complexity, build networks, be resilient, drive results, think strategically and instill trust in others
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in English
- Excellent problem-solving, time management, and organizational skills to meet tight deadlines
- Strong analytical skills and prospect research experience
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong computer skills (including Microsoft Office, Internet, and e-mail); Raiser’s Edge experience preferred
*Students may receive educational credit for all our internships