One year long paid internship at the IAEA sponsored by the IAEA Programs office at Argonne National Laboratory. Go to https://international.anl.gov/careers.html#interns for details.
Included with this internship:
- Round trip airfare to Vienna
- Monthly stipend
- One time allowance
- Cost-free medical insurance (if needed)
The intern will assist in the development, implementation, and documentation of data analysis protocols in the field of plant genetics, genomics, and breeding. The intern will thus contribute to innovative research and development (R&D), provide relevant services, and support the Plant Breeding and Genetics Laboratory’s (PBGL) capacity building and outreach activities. The intern will work closely on collaborative projects with all professional staff members of the Plant Breeding and Genetics Laboratory. In addition, the intern will liaise with the IT-Innovations Lead in IAEA’s Division of Information Technology and maintain a good collaborative relationship.
Tasks / Key Results Expected
- Assist in the development, documentation, and maintenance of reproducible data analysis worksflows in a client-server and/or cluster environment.
- Use existing and develop novel approaches and analysis tools for genome analysis and phenotype-genotype associations to identify causal variants for further characterization and utilization. This will include bioinformatics analyses of Next Generation Sequencing and other -omics data to support forward and reverse genetic approaches.
- Contribute to the dissemination of the results, which will include producing reproducible protocols for internal use as well as for use by partners in Member States and other stakeholders.
- Contribute and/or lead scientific publications and provide input to internal and external information material highlighting the activities of the laboratory’s work.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree or studies in a field with natural science and computer science components (e.g. computational biology, bioinformatics, statistics, math/physics, genetics, molecular biology, agricultural sciences, etc.)
- Fluency in Unix/Linux, demonstrated proficiency in one or more standard scripting language (Python, etc.) is a requirement, and one or more programming languages (C/C++, etc.) is an asset.
- Experience in developing and maintaining analysis workflows in a server and/or cluster environment is an asset.
- Evidence of previous collaborative work in the field of software developement (i.e. GitHub) is an asset.