Our software engineering internship is a 12-week summer experience that blends learning with impact. Our interns are embedded directly into our engineering teams, contributing immediately to impactful projects and constantly learning.
You’ll be asked to develop a feature and will influence the initial specs for the feature, build/modify the backend APIs (mostly Rails), write the front-end code that consumes said APIs (mostly React), and be responsible for ongoing improvements once the feature is deployed.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Own what you build as you architect, build, test, and refine the Gusto platform
- Tackle a wide variety of technical problems throughout the stack and contribute daily to all parts of our code base, using our development workflow
- Work with our product and design teams to understand customer pain points, come up with solutions, and then prototype, iterate, and launch daily
- Be surrounded by teammates who are doing the best work of their lives and loving every moment of it
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Students pursuing a BS and/or MS degree in computer science or related technical field with an expected graduation date between December 2022 and June 2023.
- Passion for creating memorable experiences for customers, regardless of which part of the stack you work in
- Interest in technologies such as React, Redux, Ruby, Rails, and GraphQL
- Appreciation for an iterative, test-driven, code review culture
- A drive to create well-structured and maintainable code that balances beauty and pragmatism
- U.S. work authorization is required. This role is not available for sponsorship.
- Applications due by 11:59pm ET on Tuesday, November 30th. We will review applications on a rolling basis up until this date. Interviews will begin no earlier than Monday, October 4th, 2021.
Learn more about the team:
- How We Onboard New Engineers #withGusto
- Lessons Learned from a New Grad Engineer
- Supporting Small Businesses Through COVID-19
- Awarded Remarkable Achievement Award in DEI Recruiting for 2021
- Bernard Coleman, Head of Employee Engagement, talking about Gusto’s Commitment to RISE
- Learn more about the engineering culture at Gusto through our Engineering Blog
Our cash compensation range for this role is $46.16/hr – $49.04/hr in Denver & most remote locations, and $57.70/hr – $63.47/hr in San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are due by 11:59pm ET on Tuesday, November 30th. We will review applications on a rolling basis up until this date.