The Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine is currently seeking Certified Medical Assistants for FIU’s health clinical practices in both Miami and Broward locations.
• Answers phones, receives and dispositions patient calls, registers patients for visits, and schedules appointments. Performs basic accounting and record-keeping procedures relating to copayment and other patient responsibility collection at the time of service. Handles sensitive cardholder information and/or processes credit cards transactions for the department/unit.
• Conducts transcription, patient scheduling, insurance claims, and data entry. Documents in the electronic medical record.
• Measures and records vital signs. Provides patient interview, medical history and chief complaint. Records history and physical findings. Provides patient education with regards to office policies, medications, management of diseases, home care, and minor office surgery/procedures.
• Prepares patients for examinations including providing an explanation of any procedures to be performed. Assists provider during examinations, procedures, and routine screening tests.
• Performs electrocardiograms (EKG’s) and administers treatments/procedures such as nebulizer, ear lavage and other routine procedures. Performs dressings and applies bandages. Prepares and administers medications with provider order.
• Arranges hospital admissions, requests for consultations and outside referrals to physician and ancillary providers. Assists with gaining authorizations/pre-certifications as requested.
• Sterilizes medical instruments. Maintains patient areas in a clean and safe manner. Practices Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) safety standards.
• Works in a multidisciplinary team environment that fosters effective communication and care coordination while supporting a positive experience for every patient. Provides information to patients in English and Spanish.
• Performs phlebotomy and collection of laboratory specimens. Performs basic in-office lab tests. Maintains operator proficiencies in performing referenced lab testing. Maintains accurate logs and other laboratory record keeping.
• Reports critical lab value results to provider(s).
• Works with and/or resides with minors and/or vulnerable persons within their role in FIU clinical sites.
• Drives to and from FIU clinical sites within their work schedule.
• Performs other duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning tasks that are logically related.
• Performs related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.