Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
Fermilab Core Computing Division is seeking a Communications Associate. This position will focus on communications for the Core Computing Division, which provides IT services for the lab, and the Scientific Computing Division, which provides computing services to Fermilab experiments.
Under general supervision, this position plans and performs IT and scientific computing project communications from start to finish, produces a monthly internal employee newsletter, edits and writes technical and how/to documentation and communicates about accomplishments of and outreach activities for IT and scientific computing.
- Write, edit, review and organize communications related to the IT or scientific services, projects and research activities of the Computing organization.
- Write and solicit content for, edit and lay out internal digital monthly newsletter.
- Update web-based content on various platforms including WordPress and SharePoint.
- Write and oversee the execution of communication plans for projects and activities.
- Capture, develop and check accuracy of information by researching and interviewing subject matter experts and by observing activities, processes and demonstrations.
- May write occasional articles about IT and scientific computing activities for the laboratory community.
- May help coordinate and/or produce content for outreach activities.
We Are Looking For:
- A bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism or related subject area.
- 1 to 2 years of published writing experience or writing or 2 to 3 years of proficient college writing experience.
- Ability to research, interview subject matter experts, write and edit technical and scientific communications.
- Interest in technology and science writing and a passion for learning new subjects.
- Skill in the use of computers and standard software as well as the ability to navigate and use the internet.
- Ability to balance priorities and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Creativity and the ability to do basic video editing and/or graphic design are a plus.
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
Human Factors: Mental Concentration, Sitting, Standing, Tight Work Schedule, Visually Demanding
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
FRA encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated and boosted to prevent transmission of COVID-19 and to mitigate against severe illness from infection. Upon employment with FRA, all employees must state their vaccination status. Please note that all vaccination and testing requirements are subject to change.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse and inclusive environment based on mutual respect is critical to our mission. Fermilab is committed to recruiting and developing the most talented people and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, country of birth, geography/postal code, disability, marital status, parental or gestational status, or other non-merit factor.