NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 global pandemic, the 2021 Online Structured Summer Program will be held in a virtual e-learning format (online).
What is HCOP?
The Health Careers Opportunity Program (HCOP) is a federally funded grant that provides students from economically or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds an opportunity to develop the skills required to successfully pursue careers in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, occupational therapy, physical therapy and many other limitless healthcare professions.
What is the purpose of the Pipeline to Success – HCOP?
- To provide students from disadvantaged backgrounds the access, education and training necessary to become a health professional with the goal of increasing diversity within the healthcare workforce.
Who can participate?
- Students currently enrolled in high school (students who will have completed their sophomore and junior year by May 2021), community college or a four-year college/university (students who will have completed their freshman, sophomore or junior year).
- Students who are economically or educationally disadvantaged, interested in a health career or the health sciences and meet the HCOP eligibility criteria.
- 2.5 GPA or greater (on a 1.0 – 4.0 scale)
What benefit does Pipeline to Success – HCOP offer?
- Formal and informal opportunities for counseling, mentoring and group support.
- Academic support services, academic enrichment and skill development.
- Reduction in cognitive or attitudinal barriers to learning through discussion of educational, personal, and/or family issues that may impact academic progress.
- Educational and clinical shadowing activities.
- Training in primary care settings as well as opioid abuse, mental and behavioral health.
- Monthly meetings/workshops focused on financial aid planning, health disparities, stress management, public health, etc.
- Group sessions with local practicing physicians, dentists, pharmacists, occupational therapists and physical therapists.
- Scheduled field trips and tours of health professional private offices.
The 2021 Online Structured Summer Program is a structured, six-week program (Monday – Friday) that provides a plethora of academic enrichment opportunities where students partake in virtual classroom instruction focused on upper-level mathematics/science/reading/writing, standardized test preparation, various health-related workshops, professional development seminars, virtual clinical shadowing, virtual field trips, and much more – sessions are to begin Monday, June 7, 2021 and end Friday, July 16, 2021.
STIPENDS: $1,620 (high school) and $2,640 (undergraduate) for the entire 6-week session.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Now…the sooner the better, since we only have 25 high school and 25 undergraduate slots available – they can go pretty fast!!
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUBMIT:
- Completed Application – Submit your application online using the following link: https://hipaa.jotform.com/hsmaca/hcop-online-application-system
- Official or Unofficial Transcript
- (High School) – Kindly contact your school counselor/advisor and have him/her EMAIL your official or unofficial transcript directly to AminatuIssaka@creighton.edu and if for any reason, you may already have in your possession your official or unofficial transcript, upload this document within the online application system while completing your application.
- (Undergraduate) – Visit the National Student Clearinghouse via the following link to order official transcripts with a delivery method of email: https://tsorder.studentclearinghouse.org/school/select
- Be sure to enter the following recipient information when placing official transcript order: Recipient Name: Aminatu Issaka and Recipient Email Address: AminatuIssaka@creighton.edu or if for any reason, you may already have in your possession your official or unofficial transcript, upload this document within the online application system while completing your application.
- Letter of Recommendation – Kindly provide the following link to your recommender (mentor, coach, school counselor, school advisor, current/previous teacher, etc.) to complete your letter of recommendation; the letter will be sent to our office directly after he/she clicks the submit button: https://hipaa.jotform.com/hsmaca/recommendation-letter-hcop or if you already have it, upload this document within the online application system while completing your application.
- One-Page Personal Statement – Upload this document within the online application system while completing the application.
- Income Tax Return Information (not required for Omaha Public School students) – Only need the first two (2) pages which states the taxpayer’s name and taxable income (can be your income tax return or a parent/guardian’s) – upload this document within the online application system while completing the application.
In addition, here’s the link to the program webpage which includes additional information as it pertains to HCOP at Creighton University: https://healthsciences.creighton.edu/diversity/health-careers-opportunity-program-hcop