Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
With growing consensus that nature can provide at least 30% of the climate mitigation needed to limit warming to 1.5°C, and recognition that carbon removals from reforestation and restoration are the only scalable ‘technologies’ we have today to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, many global initiatives have enabled political commitments for restoration. But without models and demonstrations of effective restoration at scale, a majority of these commitments have not turned into action or generated substantial impact. As a core component of its Climate Strategy, Conservation International has set ambitious targets for scaling restoration globally as a climate solution. This intern would support CI’s global restoration work through coordination with CI’s Global Restoration Lead and Restoration Projects Manager, along with other CI staff.
The intern would work on the following tasks:
- Research and scoping of restoration projects worldwide and in priority CI geographies to support CI’s work to build out restoration contacts and capacity to support our global restoration initiatives.
- Building out a database of restoration organizations and practitioners that will support CI’s restoration work
- Research on restoration methods (assisted natural regeneration, applied nucleation, direct seeding, tree planting, etc) to support CI’s restoration implementation and monitoring efforts
- Drafting of text on guidance related to restoration methods to assist practitioners
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Work may be performed in a remote location within certain locations with the US.
- Must be a current student or recent graduate (within 3 months)
- Fascination with restoration, landscapes, forests, and reforestation
- Strong research ability and interest in researching restoration worldwide
- Strong writing, communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with software like Microsoft excel and word
- Ability to effectively work in a team across the full diversity of CI’s global organization
- Ability to work effectively with multicultural, multidisciplinary teams worldwide, including CI staff and partners
- Willingness and capacity to navigate diversity, equity, and inclusion challenges and opportunities
- Language ability in Bahasa, French, others
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
- Passion: Inspired by people and by nature, we are urgently compelled to drive change for a sustainable future.
- Integrity: We are honest, transparent and accountable for our actions.
- Teamwork: We work together as one CI, recognizing that inclusion, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
- Respect: We respect each other and work to earn trust, valuing our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Courage: We pursue our vision, taking bold action, persevering and overcoming challenges.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the capacity of people to be caring, generous and brilliant, and believe that with partners, we can inspire humanity to create a better future.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled