Under supervision, trains to perform duties associated with maintaining the City’s GIS databases and online interactive maps using ArcGIS (flexible work schedule, 27 to 30 hours per week).
- During training participates in researching, testing, and implementing GIS strategies.
- Identifies and solves GIS related issues.
* Interviews via Skype acceptable. In-person interviews preferred.
The GIS Division resides in the Public Works Department, but supports all city departments including Planning, Water & Sewer, Recreation, Police, Marina, and Airport.
The GIS Division offers a great work environment, relaxed dress code, and experienced staff for a rewarding internship experience. Interns report directly to the GIS Division Manager.
Vero Beach has beautiful beaches, great parks, and glorious weather for outdoor activities throughout the year. The city offers an ideal place to live and work.
The following duties have been provided as examples of the essential types of work performed by positions within this job classification. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
· During training creates and maintains GIS databases.
· During training creates professional maps that depict data clearly.
· During training participates in researching, testing, and implementing GIS strategies.
· Identifies and solves GIS related problems.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
· Familiarity of ArcGIS software, concepts, and use cases.
· Familiarity of ArcGIS Online.
· Ability to create, edit, and review data to achieve a high level of accuracy and completeness.
· Ability to organize and prioritize work to ensure projects are completed on time.
· Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with co-workers.
OTHER JOB CHARACTERISTICS:
· Work is primarily performed in an office environment.
· Work may require field work to verify data accuracy.
· Frequent use of computers, peripherals, GIS applications, and standard office equipment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Applicants must be enrolled or have graduated with a B.A., B.S., or graduate level degree. All majors accepted.