General Duty Statement
Saint Paul Regional Water Services (SPRWS) Production Division/Water Quality Unit is hiring two Water Quality Interns to support field and laboratory work from May through September.
Information about the Water Quality Unit:
The Water Quality Unit is responsible for source water monitoring, water treatment processes control, distribution system water quality monitoring, responding to customer complaints, providing sampling, and testing support to the distribution system during the main construction season. Regulatory and routine sampling is conducted on an ongoing basis with water quality analysis that covers bacteriological, biological, physical, and chemical analysis of water samples collected from source to tap. The Water Quality Unit is committed to providing high quality drinking water and laboratory services to meet the Saint Paul Regional Water Services mission and strategic goals.
A successful candidate will have the ability to be an effective team member by being self-motivated, accepting of assignments, completing tasks on time, and asking for or offering assistance to other team members.
Information about the Water Quality Intern positions:
- Performs basic field water sampling from source to tap and water quality analysis using a handheld portable analyzer or laboratory equipment.
- Spends 75% of the time assisting water quality staff with routine sample collection and perform field water quality analysis in the distribution system.
- Spends 25% of the time assisting with general laboratory support functions such as labware washing and sample bottle preparation, bench pH meter calibration, basic water chemistry analysis, online water quality analyzer calibration and verification, lake sampling, sanitizing field sampling equipment, data entry, record keeping, inventory maintenance, and general lab housekeeping.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required.
Additional information about these positions:
- Anticipated start/end dates: May 10th to September 10th (Dates are somewhat flexible)
- Hours: 40 hours a week / Monday – Friday from 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM
- Paid Internship: This is a paid internship for technical college, university, or Water Environmental Technologies (WETT) program students
The City of Saint Paul’s mission is to integrate equity and inclusion into how we approach all our work. Our vision is to be committed to building an equitable and inclusive city that will shift culture in city processes and policies, eliminate structural inequities, and ensure timely and relevant access to services, resources, support, and opportunity to every person in Saint Paul.
- Must be currently attending a post secondary program or enrolled in a Water Environmental Technologies program studying in the field of Microbiology, Biology, Chemistry, Water quality, Water treatment, or a similar discipline.
- Must maintain active student status for the duration of internship.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Minnesota Class D driver’s license, or equivalent out-of-state driver’s license.
By Closing Date, you MUST
1. Submit a City of Saint Paul online application.
2. Upload or submit the following required documents via the online application system, mail, in person, email, or fax. (Zip files and web links will not be accepted. Each uploaded attachment is limited to 10 MB.)
- A letter of interest
- A resume
First time applying online? Read our How to apply Online Guide.
Selection Process Information
Temporary: This posting is open to anyone who meets the position requirements. This position is eligible for Earned Safe and Sick Time (ESST). Other benefits are not provided.
Final Selection Process: You will be contacted if selected for an interview. Only complete applications will be considered.
Condition of Employment: This position requires a background check and a drug test upon conditional job offer. The City of Saint Paul encourages individuals to apply for positions regardless of criminal history.
Human Resources Contact Information:
Sandy Kimbrough at 651-266-6510
1900 Rice Street
Saint Paul, MN 55113
To refer to this information, we recommend you print this job posting before you apply. For technical assistance regarding the online application, please call 1-855-524-5627 during regular business hours.
The City of Saint Paul is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Veterans, women, persons of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Official Title: Capital City Intern
Working Title: Water Quality Intern