Are you looking for a position with a work/life balance? Do you want to earn four weeks off during your first year of employment? Do you want low and no cost health insurance options? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you need to complete your application now. Work for the city you love!!!
The Employee Services Department is actively seeking a Human Resources Specialist.
Did you know that as a City of Jacksonville employee, you would also have 11 paid holidays and a personal leave day as well? In addition, to health insurance, dental, vision, life insurance and flexible spending plans are also available. City of Jacksonville employees are also eligible for Federal Student Loan Forgiveness after 10 years of public service and on-time payments.
This is paraprofessional work in coordinating the daily operations of a human resources program and/or administering multiple operational functions involving research, analysis and advisory responsibilities. The work requires knowledge of and the ability to apply principles and practices of City human resources activities, which is usually gained through substantial work experience. Contacts with others require skills in understanding and influencing people which are important in providing human resources services, discussing, and resolving work-related issues and problems, and presenting and defending recommendations and decisions. Work is standardized in that tasks are covered by substantially diversified procedures and specialized standards and because of changing priorities or different situations, incumbents have the latitude to consider which of the many procedures or standards should be followed and in what sequence. The work involves differing situations requiring use of judgment in searching for solutions or new applications. Work is performed mainly in an office environment. Physical demands consist mainly of sitting or standing at a workstation for extended periods of time, and occasionally lifting and moving light objects. Operates standard office equipment and a personal computer using HRIS system, database, spreadsheet, presentation, mapping, and word processing applications. Depending upon assignment, may operate a motor vehicle. Work is performed under limited supervision where the work assignments are subject to established procedures, practices, precedents, methods, techniques, or well-defined policies; the worker plans and organizes the work, and determines priorities; and the work is generally reviewed upon completion for technical accuracy, acceptability of results, quality and timeliness.
Examples of Work
- Reviews, researches, and processes a variety of personnel transactions and advises agencies and departments of recommended disposition or necessary action.
- Recommends, tests, documents, and trains others on human resources systems to support and improve human resources processes.
- Reviews, edits, and ensures timely transmission of accurate data to appropriate customers to accomplish biweekly payroll and associated transactions.
- Compiles data for development of recommendations, reports, charts, and spreadsheets.
- Provides on-site coordination of multiple human resources functions involving research, analysis, and advisory responsibilities.
- Designs human resources reports.
- Troubleshoots errors in personnel transactions received from the field.
- Audits pay, leave and other personnel records and reports.
- Provides technical guidance, assistance, and training to other employees on human resources policies, procedures, and processes.
- Reviews and recommends revisions to human resources policies and processes.
- Establishes, monitors, and maintains personnel files and associated records and systems including interfacing with budget, payroll, benefits, pension, and other related activities.
- Prepares correspondence and responses to inquiries, complaints, and issues.
- Responds to wage and benefits surveys.
- Reviews applicant qualifications, determines eligibility and develops screening matrices.
- Composes job advertisements and recommends advertising resources.
- Schedules, administers, and proctors examinations.
- Researches, compiles, and provides information to labor relations staff in preparation for, and conduct of, collective bargaining.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Jacksonville competencies.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of City human resources policies, procedures, and processes.
- Knowledge of applicable labor and employment laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines governing City human resources activities as well as collective bargaining agreements and pay plans.
- Knowledge of the City’s organization and administration.
- Skill in researching, organizing, and maintaining records and files.
- Ability to coordinate and administer human resources services.
- Ability to design reports to extract information from electronic files.
- Ability to develop and conduct training for users on human resources processes and systems.
- Ability to use various computer applications and systems to accomplish work objectives.
- Ability to respond to wage and benefit surveys.
- Ability to review applicant qualifications, determine eligibility, and develop matrices.
- Ability to interpret rules, regulations, and policies.
- Ability to prepare correspondence and reports.
- Ability to identify and resolve operational problems and respond to questions and complaints.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with staff at all levels and with members of the general public.
Open Requirements/Supplemental Information
- Four years of education and/or experience in human resources administration work, one year of which must have included performance of multiple human resources functions such as using and maintaining human resources information systems; establishing, auditing and maintaining personnel, payroll and leave records; responding to wage and/or benefit surveys; reviewing employment applications and certifying eligibility; and reviewing, researching and processing human resources forms, records, files and requests.