The San Francisco Department of the Environment is hiring a Green Business Associate for our Green Business Team.
Do you believe business can be a force for good? Do you like to see businesses doing the right thing for the environment and their community? Do you want to be the person that helps show them how? Then join our Green Business team and help small, local businesses become recognized environmental leaders through the implementation of cost-effective environmental practices.
Who you are
As the 9922 Green Business Associate, you’ll recruit and work with small and medium-sized businesses to help them implement environmental best management practices. You will learn about a wide array of sustainability measures, in the areas of energy, water conservation, pollution prevention, zero waste, transportation, and climate. You’ll also gain knowledge of marketing and outreach tactics, behavior change strategies, public speaking, program administration, and database management.
What You’ll Likely Do
Under immediate supervision and with professional training, duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Recruit new businesses into the Green Business program through direct and indirect marketing techniques including but not limited to cold calls, unannounced visits, planned visits, presentations to merchants’ associations, networking events, and other forums
• Assist enrolled businesses in achieving Green Business recognition by performing in-depth phone consultations, on-site or virtual Green Business evaluations, conducting trainings, documenting environmental best management practices, and following up with prospective Green Businesses
• Maintain relationships with existing and prospective Green Businesses and encourage in-process businesses to complete their certification process
• Assist in the development and maintenance of Green Business program standards, toolkits, and resources
• Develop content for the Green Business website, newsletter, and social media channels
• Use a database to report on status of businesses certified and environmental savings accrued
• Assist in the planning and execution of the Annual Green Business Awards and other Green Business events
• Provide administrative support and perform other tasks as requested by the Green Business Coordinator and the Commercial Toxics Reduction Senior Coordinator
Possession of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; AND
Experience with customer service, outreach, or environmental programs.
Two (2) years of verifiable work experience in environmental programs, business assistance, or outreach may be substituted for up to two years of the required education on a year-for-year basis (30 semester/45 quarter units equals one year).
For more information about the San Francisco Department of the Environment, please visit https://sfenvironment.org.
Please note, applications will only be accepted via the City and County of San Francisco Job Opportunity website.