Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a relentless pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world – picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one – your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social / entertainment / business existence REAL.
What will you do at Ciena?
As an intern within the embedded software group, you will work on our next generation operating system for both Ciena and industry-standard routers and switches. You are passionate and competent about working in a team to deliver virtualized networking products based on micro-services and Container based architecture to our customers. This is an exciting time to intern at Ciena, as 5G and SDN drive transformation of the internet and we aggressively drive our product portfolio forward into the future of advanced networking services.
• Join an Agile scrum team to develop leading router and switching device control features for Ciena’s packet optical product offerings.
• Deliver software in diverse, industry-leading product formats: as virtualized functions for NFV, integrated on Ciena’s advanced packet networking switches, and others.
• Design in an embedded software development environment in C and Python languages using Yocto and BitBake development tools
• Work on NFV and SDN paradigms and environments, working with micro-services architectures, Linux containers, and Docker
• Contribute to software architecture, design, development, validation and documentation of advanced networking features and sophisticated real time system services
Areas of impact
• Software design and architecture, features, and functionality
• Deployment of your work into worldwide networks as Service Providers unify and virtualize their networks, prepare for 5G, and take advantage of SDN and functional disaggregation.
Relevant coursework and hands-on software development experience
• Two or three years of undergraduate study in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or a related discipline,focus on data communications and/or networking field preferred
• Proficiency in C and python a must
• Coursework and project work to develop sound knowledge of software design principles, data structures/algorithms, operating systems and computer architecture courses as part of course curriculum
• Familiar with the embedded software development, conceptual understanding of real-time fundamentals such as synchronization in multi-threaded systems, IDE, debuggers and source code control
• Excellent communication, written and verbal communication skills, ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment with willingness to learn
• Ability to think creatively and produce “outside of the box” solutions
• Knowledge of Netconf, proto buffers, Dockers, SDN, datastore or network protocols is a plus but not a mustAbout Ciena
Ciena is a network strategy and technology company with a passion to provide an experience, to you and our customers that is as rewarding as the outcome. We attract the best and brightest– those with outstanding talent, motivation, and the right attitude to contribute to our success. Our culture balances our openness and informality with professionalism and trust and is built on the foundation of our core values: Customer First, Integrity, Velocity, Innovation, and Outstanding People.
Ciena enables everyone to have a voice and a network that supports them while on the journey to discovering their passion and purpose. We trust each individual to do what they can to reach their full potential and make an impact on the business, whenever, wherever they are in the world. With Ciena’s highly innovative, forward-thinking business practices, we reward people for pushing the boundaries. Unlock your potential at Ciena!
Being You @ Ciena
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we want to foster an environment that values and respects all individual’s strengths, perspectives, ideas, and ability to meet the needs of our customers globally. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status or any other category protected by applicable law. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
Ciena is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific accommodation measures required for you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.