Beacon Press is seeking an experienced, creative, and enthusiastic Publicist to join the Beacon team. Under the supervision of the Communications Director and the Associate Publicity Director, this position will lead media campaigns, as well as partner on overall group strategies, to bring Beacon’s publications to the largest possible readership.
The ideal candidate leverages established ongoing working relationships with national and local print, broadcast, and online journalists to achieve coverage goals. Candidates should possess strong internal and external communication skills, be adept in time management, and be able to work both independently as well as in a collaborative setting.
- Planning and execution of publicity campaigns for front and backlist titles
- Working with authors on articles, op-eds, adapted excerpts, and other submissions related to publicizing their book
- Holding regular meetings with authors, agents, and editors to share information about media campaigns
- Arranging author events at bookstores and other venues
- Developing, researching, and maintaining strong relationships with national and local media contacts
- Attending and presenting at regular internal meetings and at meetings with external partners
- Prepping authors for media interviews and event presentations
- Juggling multiple projects while maintaining deadlines
- Current relationships with national and regional media contacts
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in book publicity or related public relations
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Strong writing skills are essential
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively while also responding to urgent needs as they arise
* IMPORTANT: During the time of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Boston offices of Beacon Press remain closed, and as such, this will be a work-from-home position until our offices reopen.
How to Apply
Beacon Press is owned and operated under the auspices of the Unitarian Universalist Association and is an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities, people of color, indigenous people, Hispanic/Latinx, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply. Beacon Press is committed to developing a diverse and talented staff team. If you are excited about this role, but are unsure whether you meet 100% of the requirements, we encourage you to inquire and/or apply. Send cover letter and résumé—indicating “Publicist” in the subject line—via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.