ATMC is a “Local Company with Local Priorities.” As North Carolina’s largest communications cooperative, we offer essential home & business services and provide a wide variety of career opportunities in the rural counties that we serve. ATMC is located along the beautiful Atlantic coast of Brunswick County, halfway between Wilmington, NC & Myrtle Beach, SC. Our service area covers rural parts of Brunswick County, Columbus County, Robeson County, Duplin County, Pender County and is continuously expanding as the demand for internet services increases in these areas. Being an employee at ATMC means having a great place to work as well as a great place to call home. ATMC employees find their careers to be rewarding, challenging, and exciting while keeping the feel of a small company. While ATMC is a large company ATMC still upholds core values that tell our employees they are appreciated, valued, and recognized each day. Currently, ATMC has more than 300 employees with competitive earnings and great benefits that include a 401k with company match and tuition reimbursement.
ATMC is seeking a detail-oriented Locator to join our Outside Plant team. The Locator will be responsible for identifying & marking ATMC’s cables, pipes, and other conduits that carry utilities underground. A Locator’s job is crucial to our utility business and requires exact accuracy when marking lines. The candidate will need to be able to adapt to walking on difficult terrains and for long distances while being aware of obstructed hazards, easements on roadways, vehicles that may come into the candidate’s path, and changes in weather conditions. The Locator must be able to work independently and be self-motivated as well as be able to fit into work in a team environment. The Locator reports to the Manager, Construction.
- Skill in prioritizing, completing multiple projects, identifying problems, and finding resolutions.
- Knowledge of construction practices
- Knowledge of test equipment, CAD, work management, 811, and different types of cable.
- Knowledge of telecommunications equipment operations and maintenance.
- Must maintain a good driving record and a valid driver’s license.
Essential Job Functions:
- Prioritize work activities with the construction team by reviewing all locate requests to determine travel route & timeliness.
- Locates pathways of utilities during construction buried and right-of-way of work locations to protect utilities.
- Pre-surveys job sites to determine needs for equipment, materials, and safety provisions.
- Notify the Construction Manager if equipment and materials are low to avoid running out of inventory.
- Read and understand utility maps, prints, and aerial imagery to assist in the identification of underground fiber areas.
- Work with contractors installing underground conduit, direct buried or aerial plant systems.
- Ensures quality customer service by respecting the customer’s property and addressing questions concerning construction projects.
- Keep routine and open communication between managers, team leaders, contractors, and other external customers.
- Makes recommendations to the Construction Manager for improvements to policies and procedures regarding locating.
- Will be required to drive extensively, getting in-and-out of vehicle repeatedly.
- Accurately wear given PPE per ATMC & OSHA guidelines
- Follow all public and OSHA safety precautions and procedures to ensure a safe work environment.
- Responds to outside plant emergency calls as needed.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by upper management.
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- 1-3 years utility construction or electrical experience preferred.
ATMC Benefits Include:
- Competitive pay structure
- 401k with company match
- Health, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD benefits
- On-Site Wellness Clinic
- Discounts for company products & services
- And more…..
The above statements describe the level of work performed and expected in general terms. The statements are not intended to list all the responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required of employees. Furthermore, nothing in this job description shall be interpreted to conflict with or eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of ATMC.
ATMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ATMC is a Drug-Free Workplace. ATMC participates in the E-Verify system operated by the US Department of Homeland Security.