As an attorney within the Mutual Fund Legal Group, you will execute your responsibilities in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. To execute your responsibilities, you are comfortable managing competing priorities and providing thoughtful, well-reasoned guidance so that we meet regulatory requirements and our fiduciary responsibility to our clients. Your strong interpersonal communication skills will help as you collaboratively problem-solve situations to meet the expectations of the firm’s product development, product management, client/distribution services, portfolio management, fund accounting, transfer agent and operations teams, as well as outside fund and board counsels. You will utilize your intellectual curiosity as you handle various legal responsibilities relating to the establishment, modification, and ongoing operation of investment companies registered under the Investment Company Act of 1940, including open-end funds, exchange-traded funds (“ETFs”), and closed-end funds. We expect that you will execute your responsibilities efficiently and effectively.
Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Handling the legal aspects of product development, including the organization of new funds, as well as restructurings, reorganizations, and changes to the investment policies of existing funds.
- Drafting written materials regarding new funds and fund changes for the mutual funds’ boards, presenting to the boards on these matters, and responding to questions from directors/trustees and their counsel.
- Preparing fund disclosure documents, including prospectuses, prospectus supplements, statements of additional information and shareholder reports, or managing the review and oversight of such documents prepared by outside counsel.
- Reviewing/preparing proxy materials and coordinating routine and non-routine shareholder meetings.
- Preparing, reviewing, and coordinating responses to SEC staff comments on fund disclosure documents.
- Negotiating agreements with fund service providers and other parties.
- Reviewing and analyzing SEC releases and other materials relating to changes to regulatory requirements/proposals to assess impact on our funds and counsel compliance team.
- Advising the business on portfolio management, distribution, accounting, transfer agent, and operational matters .
About the Department
The Legal and Compliance Department is responsible for ensuring compliance with all of the legal and regulatory requirements to which we are subject, protecting the firm from regulatory and reputational risk across the globe, and strengthening the firm’s culture of compliance. We do this through collaborative partnership with the business units we support by providing thoughtful and timely advice. In addition, the department conducts global monitoring and training activities that detect, address and mitigate regulatory and reputational risk. The advice coupled with the monitoring and training activities provide the framework to support the firm’s business strategy and objectives while maintaining a high standard for integrity.
About the Team
The Mutual Fund Legal Group is responsible for coordinating and supervising the legal aspects of our domestic, U.S. registered mutual funds. AB’s mutual funds complex currently consists of over 90 portfolios covering a broad range of investment services including alternatives, equity, fixed income and multi-asset funds.
- Juris Doctorate degree with 7+ years in practice and knowledge of the Investment Company Act of 1940
- State of Tennessee bar admission (active and in good standing) or admission to another State’s bar with the ability to obtain In-House designation in Tennessee.
- Experience with ETFs
AllianceBernstein (AB) is a global investment-management firm providing industry-leading research and investment solutions through a combination of innovation, intellectual curiosity and relentless ingenuity. We offer high-quality research and diversified investment services to institutional and individual investors worldwide. Our clients include some of the world’s top institutions as well as private-wealth clients and retail investors. Through close partnerships with our clients, we collaborate on investment strategies across regions and sectors to inspire innovative thinking and deliver superior outcomes.
We invest in our people and in the communities in which we operate, and we celebrate our diversity to showcase what makes us unique. We offer our talent the opportunity to grow professionally while working on cutting-edge ideas and outcomes in a global culture that operates as a tight-knit community. If you’re ready to innovate and grow your career, join us.
People of color, women, and those who identify as LGBTQ people are encouraged to apply. AB does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. AB’s policies, as well as practices, seek to ensure that employment opportunities are available to all employees and applicants, based solely on job-related criteria.