Summer 2021 Intern
Come help us rebuild homes and lives as we tell people about the love of Christ.
If you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You are applying to be part of a Christian ministry team of up to 10 college-age students hosting middle/high school mission teams throughout the summer. These youth mission teams serve through ARM’s home repair and Sonshine Kid’s day camp ministries. At night, our summer intern staff leads these teams in worship. The college-aged ministry team will be composed of 1 Site Leader, 5 Sonshine Kid’s Day Camp Counselors, and 4 Construction Coordinators. The mission site is located in Tuskegee, AL (Macon County).
Roles and Responsibilities for All Interns
Cultivate Christian community with your ministry team
Create a safe, clean, friendly, organized, and Christ-centered youth mission experience for middle/high school student mission teams
Manage the daily and weekly schedules of youth mission teams
Help craft and lead a nightly worship and discipleship experience for our mission teams
Develop and lead daily morning and lunch devotions with our mission teams
Build meaningful relationships with the mission teams as you serve alongside them, encourage them, and model Christian discipleship
Help our mission teams prepare meals and maintain our team hosting sites at local churches
Our Core Values
Compassionate Servant Leaders
Intentional Community Partnership
Creative and Thoughtful Stewards
Time Commitment and Schedule
11 weeks total (+4 days for the Site Leader)
2 weeks of training – schedule set by ARM full-time staff
1 week of preparation for mission teams at sites – schedule set by the site leader
7 weeks of hosting mission teams
1 week of site closeout ending with 2 day lake retreat – schedule set by ARM full-time staff
Weekly Mission Team Schedule when hosting mission teams
- Sundays, 3pm – youth mission team arrival, afternoon programs, dinner, evening programs
- Monday-Thursday – serving with home repair and Sonshine Day Camp ministries, evening programs each night
- Friday, 9am – youth mission team departure, preparations for following week’s team
- 15-16 hour days when mission teams are present
- Times of rest on Friday evenings/Saturdays – once site is set for next team
Daily Mission Team Schedule
- 7am – Breakfast
- 7:45am – Devotion
- 8:30am – Depart for home repair/Sonshine Kid’s day camp sites
- 12:00pm – Lunch at home repair/Sonshine Kid’s day camp sites with lunch devotion
- 4:00pm – Return from home repair/Sonshine Kid’s day camp sites
- 6:00pm – Dinner
- 7:30pm – Evening Worship/Discussion/Reflection
- 9:00pm – Free Time
- 10:00pm – Lights Out, nightly intern team meeting
- Active in local church community
- 2.0 GPA
- A passion for serving others
- Adaptable and flexible
- $1800 Base Scholarship for Construction/Day Camp and $2000 Base Scholarship for the Site Leader at the end of the summer with the option of raising additional scholarship support (total scholarship amount can reach up to $5000).
- $30/week personal expense stipend ($300 total for the summer)
- Housing provided
- Most meals provided
- Mileage reimbursement for ministry-related travel in personal vehicles.
Position Specific Roles & Responsibilities
Site Leader: 1 Position Available ($2300)
This person serves as the spiritual director and main coordinator/team captain for the intern team at their site. Ideally, this person has experience leading other groups or has served in leadership roles with their peers. As a Site Leader, you are expected to demonstrate leadership, Christian maturity, management skills, and public relation skills in the following ways:
- Serving as the on-site facilitator to fellow intern team members. You will be the main contact and liaison between the youth mission teams and your intern team. You’ll also serve as the spiritual director for the intern team leading a weekly staff Bible study and nightly team meetings.
- Acting as a liaison with the other local ministry partners and key personnel in the communities that support the work of ARM.
- Mentoring and overseeing other interns and visiting the Sonshine Kid’s day camp and home repair ministry sites throughout the week.
- Managing food, housing, and finances for the youth mission site.
- Communicating with and reporting to the ARM full time staff about the activities of the youth mission site.
- Coordinating the summer celebration dinner and site closeout at your mission site and the end of summer intern retreat.
Construction Coordinator: 4 Positions Available ($2100)
The primary responsibility of a construction coordinator is to facilitate home repair projects performed by our student mission teams. The construction coordinator must be organized, an excellent planner, and a licensed and insured driver. The ideal construction coordinator has basic construction experience, has participated in construction projects as part of a mission team, or is studying a construction/architecture related field. As a home repair ministry leader at your mission camp site, your service will include:
- Giving each youth mission team an overview of the family with whom they’ll be serving, which includes biographical information and all necessary details concerning the home repair/construction project.
- Conducting a daily youth mission team leaders meeting for coordination of the next day’s repairs.
- Planning for projects, purchasing materials, and maintaining construction budgets.
- Serving as the contact person for home owners and scheduling both intern and mission team visits.
- Maintaining all tools and materials for the work site.
- Advising youth mission teams on construction questions and possibly working on-site with teams if time allows.
- Ensuring mission teams have all tools and materials needed for their work throughout the day.
- Maintaining ARM construction trucks
Sonshine Kid’s Day Camp Counselor: 5 Positions Available ($2100)
The primary responsibility of the Sonshine Kid’s day camp ministry team is to operate a Christian day camp for approximately 30-35 children ages 6-11 who live in the community. You will serve alongside youth mission teams to lead daily activities for the kids. The ideal day camp counselor must love interacting with children of various ages, display patience, and be organized. The day camp is located off-site, typically at a local school and not at the location where the mission teams and intern team are housed. As a part of the Sonshine Kid’s Day Camp ministry team, your service will include:
- Serving one-on-one with youth mission teams and helping them implement their day camp activities
- Helping children form and cultivate a relationship with Christ and learn the Bible
- Building relationships with Sonshine Kid’s day camp children and their families.
- Supervising, disciplining, and mentoring children in all daily activities.
- Communicating with your Site Leader and youth mission team leaders prior to their arrival to ensure the youth mission team is adequately prepared for their week of day camp ministry. You will plan back up activities with your fellow Day Camp Counselors in case a youth mission camp team arrives unprepared.
- Working together with your fellow Sonshine Kid’s Day Camp Counselors to plan and coordinate daily educationally enriching activities and experiences.
- Planning an out of town field trip, designing a day camp shirt, creating gifts for day camp sponsors, and an end of the summer program with the day camp kids that is performed during your site’s summer celebration.