ANNUAL SALARY RANGE $38,126.40-$61,484.80
This position consists of highly responsible administrative work analyzing, processing and recording financial transactions relating to city payrolls, maintenance of employee payroll records, and leave-time activities.
Employees in this class perform technically complex tasks of more than average difficulty and ensure that accurate and proper application of federal regulations, state/county court requests, and City personnel directives governing payroll and benefits processing.
This includes the generation and validation of payroll and pension checks, deposits etc. as well as transmission of electronic data files and reports to various agencies and providers. Tasks are performed under pressure of continuing deadlines and require a great amount of concentration and accuracy.
This position is highly confidential and sensitive in nature. Considerable tact and diplomacy are required as the incumbent will routinely work with and advise other city employees on payroll system rules, regulations and procedures.
Work is performed with considerable independence within established policies and procedures under the general supervision of the Department Director and reviewed through observation and obtained results.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned as dictated by operational necessity.
- Reviews, identifies, analyses and corrects errors on all time entry information entered by departments prior to final processing.
- Processes weekly payroll and other special employee payments, including monthly pension payroll and workers compensation; creates direct deposit notifications; adjusts payroll to account for new hires, retirements, and terminations.
- Prepares payroll checks, journal entries, and payroll reports, and executes Form 941, W-2 filing, Form 1095-C, UCT, unemployment and other various miscellaneous reports.
- Processes requests for payments for all IRS levies, child support payments and other applicable employee garnishments for City employees; interacts with outside agencies as needed to confirm actions.
- Researches previous payroll data and makes necessary adjustments to maintain the accuracy of records, conferring with departments, as necessary.
- Maintains the employee’s withholding allowance W-4 form for all current and recently separated City employees.
- Performs payroll system processing activities, such as updating master record files for employee status and payroll changes, and program updates such as accrued leave and donations.
- Provides time entry and payroll processing training assistance to other departments as needed.
- May participate in special payroll projects requiring research and analysis of payroll and technical system information.
- Serves as a liaison for City retirement programs and assists employees throughout the retirement process to ensure a smooth transition.
- Compiles and processes annual City Pension reports.
- Collects, maintains and compiles statistical reports. Monitors employee annual and sick leave records.
- Processes a variety of personnel/payroll correspondence, investigates subject matter and prepares replies.
- Processes verifications of employment.
- Intakes and processes requisitions on a weekly basis.
- Enters and processes all new city employees into Munis.
- Provides back-up to front desk as needed.
- Provides back-up to Benefits Technician as needed assisting with insurance related matters, open enrollment, health fair/City picnic. ? Performs various human resources department duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to carry out each essential duty or responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities; education and/or experience; and, certificates or licenses required in order to fill the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of all phases of an automated payroll system.
- Knowledge of laws, regulations, responsibilities, standard policies and procedures applying to payroll and employee benefits processing.
- Considerable knowledge of the Rules and Regulations of the Personnel Management System pertaining to payroll provisions.
- Knowledge of standard business functions, office practices and procedures.
- Skill in personal computing techniques using word processing, spreadsheet, database and other software and related peripheral equipment.
- Skill in performing mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy.
- Ability to maintain financial and other personnel records of a critical and confidential nature.
- Ability to continually meet essential processing deadlines with accuracy.
- Ability to combine conceptual and analytical techniques with technical information systems knowledge to identify and solve problems.
- Overall knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of public Human Resources administration.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, City officials, and the general public.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited two-year college with major course work in accounting, finance, or human resources; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
- Experience in maintaining business records in an automated environment including experience in professional payroll processing utilizing automated, integrated human resources/payroll/financial information systems is preferred.
- Three (3) years of experience in payroll/human resources work or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates and Licenses:
- A Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation highly preferred.